2002 Explorer Trailer Tow Wire Harness? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Trailer Tow Wire Harness?

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
Just traded my 97 XLT for a 02 Limited. Both have the trailer towing option.

The 97 came with a wiring connector to mate the truck's harness to a standard 4-pin trailer set-up, that hooked up down under the bumper.

The '02 has a large round 7-pin connector built in next to the hitch receiver, but no supplied wiring connector to mate the conector.

Am I missing something here? How do I get a rental trailer to mate up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your probably going to have to go buy a adapter from the ford dealership. They should have one.

Hello, go back to your dealer. My 2002 XLT came w/ the 7 to 4 pin adapter free. It was tucked in the back hide away hatch. Has factory tow pkg too. Jay

Yes, check your driver side rear compartment. If it isn't there, go back to dealer and ask.

Yes the others are correct. My 2002 Limited came with the adapter in the back storage compartment. It should all be included.

Thanks, guys.

I called my salesman, and he has one sitting for me on his desk, which I will buzz by and pick up today.

Back