• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Transfer case

supertech1979

Reaction score
City, State
C-ville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
I had some recent problems and decided to change the speed sensor on the tranfer case on my 2002 ford explorer xls. I think it was the rear sensor, the other sensor was on transfer case was on the other side, closest to the front of the truck. The one I changed was facing the rear of the truck, there seems to be one on both sides. Anyhow, I put my explorer on a hill with the front up and the back down so that i would have acess under the running boards. Once i got the sensor out, I had transmission fluid pouring out of that same hole where the sensor came from. Is this only transfer case fluid because of the incline or tranny and transfer case fluid? or a better question might be, Can this affect my auto tranny fluid level? Are they totally seperate or intergrated?. Can you lose transmisson fluid throgh the transfer case in this manner?. I tried to add more fluid to the transfer case. I took the plug out, even though it drained what seemed to me a lot of fluid on the incline, it drained some more when I got it level and removed the plug. I felt inside the check/add fluid plug hole and really didn't feel much and started to add fluid, the more I added the more that came out, but proabably 1-1/4 added and I could feel it at the edge, does this sould right?
Thanks,
Nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they use transmission fluid for the Transfer case, i forgot what spec out but its trans fluid, Mercon i think.
Park it level and fill it to till fluid starts running out. If you have some miles its not a bad idea to change it.

I was really looking more for a answer about , if you can lose tranny fluid this way? or are they totally seperate?. Can I only get transfer fluid out of the transfer case or can I lose tranny fluid that way also? Do they run together or seprate? I know that they are both take auto tranny fluid but I just want to know if they are connected or if it was just fluid from the transfer case and not from the tranny or if it could be both?.
Nathan

The transfer case and transmission fluid are separate.

Thanks for your guys help. I got it back together and all seems ok. I am going to take it to a mech or ford dealer and have them change tranny fluid and transfer case fluid for pieace of mind anyways, plus it going over the 55,000 mark, so its about time anyways.
Thanks again,
Nathan

Back