2002 Explorer. Transmission cooler lines. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer. Transmission cooler lines.

skibler

Reaction score
City, State
Marshall, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
2002 Explorer XLT 8cyl. I have a leak in my transmission cooler hose. Since I can't find the hose anywhere what options do I have? Can I make my own? Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. You could bend steel lines from the auto parts store to make custom lines. The metal tubing with the fittings on the end is the same type that is used for brake lines. Any auto parts store should keep them in stock, but you might have to order the tubing bender if they don't have it.

Why wouldn't high temperature rubber hoses work (using double hose clamps to keep on the remaining metal ends)?

The rubber hoses are only used when you have to connect the transmission to the cooler where solid metal lines can't be installed. Metal lines are primarily used under the vehicle, and rubber lines are used to connect the cooler. As far as the type of hose clamps, fuel line clamps with the set screw & nut should be used. The hose clamps with the continuous holes could be used, but they cut into the hose while the other type is only a band.

I ended up just trimming the stock rubber hose and everything is fine. The stock hose is rubber with a metal connector on one end.

Back