2002 Explorer transmission - delayed shifts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer transmission - delayed shifts

F250WVO

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Hi,

A friend has a 2002 Explorer with the 4.6L V8 and 4x4. Can anyone confirm that this would be a 5R55? I can tell you it is one of the ones that do not have the dipstick.

Anyway they had it flushed a while back at the dealership and ever since then it has hesitated between shifting. For example if you shift it from park to drive it will eventually engage (even if you do not press the accelerator) but it will take while. It will also take along time to shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc. It also does the same thing when shifting from park to reverse.

I told him to check the fluid level but because of the lack of dipstick he took it back to the dealership for them to check it. They charged him another $60 and told him that it was already at the correct level, and that they thought the transmission would probably fail in about a month or so. But they also had no idea what specifically was wrong with it and several of the people there had different ideas so it sounds like they really did not diagnose anything specific. They quoted their cost to replace the tranny, but it was much higher then he can justify for the vehicle right now. Its in great shape otherwise but isn't used that much.

Any idea if this sounds like it could be the solenoid pack? Is there any way to confirm or rule this out? I offered to help him replace the tranny or try to repair it, but he is not local so I am hoping to troubleshoot it down so that we know what we are dealing with beforehand.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both times my 04 had those delayed shifts and delayed engagement, they replaced a solenoid pack. The last time, I believe they did a valve body and solenoid pack. Has shifted great ever since (60K miles later).

it is indeed a 5r55w, unless it was the AWD instead of 4x4, then it would be the 5r55s. My money is on the cylanoid pack.

Thanks for the info guys! It is indeed the 4x4. The transmission has about 100,000 miles on it. They know that it may not last a whole lot longer even if we get it going again but they only drive the vehicle occasionally and even then just short trips so it might actually last them quite a while since its used so infrequently. They can't justify the cost of a rebuilt right now.

I have looked at a couple of threads regarding changing out the vlave body and the solenoid pack. It doesn't look too bad. So do you feel that it is a pretty good bet that replacing valve body, solenoid pack, filter and fluid will revive this transmision?

I also found a great PDF with a ton of specifications for the 5R55W here:

Dead Link Removed

It gives the torque specs for adjusting the bands too. Should they be adjusted or is that only something you should do if you are doing a full rebuild?

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

Wait a second, I also have a 2002 4.6 4x4 but the Fordparts web site say's it's a 5R55S but you guys are saying it's a 5R55W. So who's wrong?

And bump for the OP, so what was the problem?

My 05 is doing the same thing. Just replaced trans approx 10k mi ago due to complete failure. Do factory rebuilds come with valve bodys or do you think the stealership used the one from original trans? I asked them to install a new one in the event the rebuild did not come with one. They didn't charge me for one, but then again IMO it was their fault the trans failed to begin with. However, I have no way to prove it at this time.

My 05 is doing the same thing. Just replaced trans approx 10k mi ago due to complete failure. Do factory rebuilds come with valve bodys or do you think the stealership used the one from original trans? I asked them to install a new one in the event the rebuild did not come with one. They didn't charge me for one, but then again IMO it was their fault the trans failed to begin with. However, I have no way to prove it at this time.
I would think a reman tranny would come complete.

I would worry most, if the reman job didn't include the servo bore bushing inserts.

Back