2002 Explorer with Diesel Engine in Europe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer with Diesel Engine in Europe?

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
In its January issue, the German off-road magazine "4-wheel fun" (that's what's called a genuine "New-German-Name" :D ), printed a two page introduction of the 2002 Explorer, which will hit the German market in spring 2001. Most interestingly, they were talking about a 140 horsepower, 2.5 liter turbodiesel engine with commonrail injection :cool: , which should be available for the Explorer in Europe in late fall 2001. It seams that this engine specially was developed for Europe. They were also talking about a new 5 speed manual for the 4.0 liter V6 gas and the turbodiesel, also ready at the end of next year. Unluckily there was no further information, not even how many cylinders the diesel will have.

Somebody knows more about this? I wonder if we will get this engine here in the U.S.?

[Edited by donkey boy on 12-21-2000 at 09:55 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead Link Removed
Yeah!

TURBO!!!!!!!!!!Dead Link Removed

To bad it's a diesel.

Originally posted by Cameron

To bad it's a diesel.

NO WAY MAN! Thats great. To bad it will probably never make it over here. Thats what we need here. Something thats torquy and grunty like a diesel. This thing would way out perform your 4.0 turboed off-road any day of the week.

Group Purchase

A group purchase from Europe (probably France, Italy or Portugal would be cheaper) would not be the problem. Well done, I don't even think it would be a lot more expensive than buying one here in the states. Most incentives though and some of the U.S. financing options would not be available, but sticker price itself would be comparable.

The real problem would be to import it to the states, to convince U.S. customs and DOT to let us have (and drive) it on (and off) public U.S. roads. I'm talking somehow from experience here. :(

But a diesel would be grrrreat! :bounce: I wonder where the engine will be manufactured and where the diesel Explorer (if Ford really decides to make one and does not concider the European market too small for this kind of expense, as they did in the past) would be assembled...

[Edited by donkey boy on 12-22-2000 at 05:35 AM]

Originally posted by rpenner54
This thing would way out perform your 4.0 turboed off-road any day of the week.

Why would you say that? You don't know the particulars of the diesel from Germany nor my 4.0. Why would you think a 2.5 litter 140 HP diesel would out perform a 4.0 litter motor with 300 + HP and 350 + torque?

I'm not saying diesels suck or anything like that, to the contrary, I know they are very durable. But if they were a better alternative why wouldn’t more cars have them? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

I guess it's a cultural thing

Originally posted by Cameron
.... But if they were a better alternative why wouldn’t more cars have them? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

Cameron, I seriously don't know why not more cars or trucks in the U.S. have diesel engines. Probably it's a cultural thing, or gas is too cheap here. In lot's of European countries, the big majority of vehicles are diesel, the big 4-wheelers as well as small cars. Most of the Mercedes G-Wagon, Toyota Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols are diesels. Jeep offers the small as well as the Grand Cherokee with diesel engines. Even in high speed countries like Germany, about 40% of all Grand Cherokees have a 2.5 liter (up to 1998) and a 3.1 liter VM diesel. If you see something rare like a full size Blazer or Suburban, it almost for sure has the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel. It's mainly here in the U.S. that diesels are not an issue.

If you are looking for shear power and great acceleration, a sports-car typ of feeling for your Explorer, you are absolutely right, a turbo on your gas engine is the way to go, with all its advantages and draw-backs.

If you are looking for an economical engine with a lot of low end torque, there is nothing better than a new generation turbo diesel engine. It will not beat you on the quarter mile, but all the other tasks it will do as well or better than a gas engine. And you will get about 4 to 5 miles more to the gallon!

Just my 0.2 centimes :D

I did not know that. I know the big rigs use diesels because they are very low maintenance. I thought the reason smaller vehicles typically don't use diesels is because they are A) more expensive to buy and B) are not as good as gas motors for all around performance.

I guess I need to do some homework here.

Peace.

Then theres the fact that gas engines are quieter and smoother on the whole, thats a reason for their popularity also. Look at the Benz E Class, you can get an E300D with as much equipment as a E320 for a good bit less, but the E320 has stronger sales. There is a stigma against diesels in this country.

about the group purchase from europe, bad idea! anyone know how much an SUV costs in Norway? if you get one with only 2 seats, an explorer might run you around, oh, $30k. Not bad you say. But how about a 3,4,5 seater? more like $110k. Europe doesnt like SUVs, the two seater thing is supposing that you use it for business. most cars are expensive in norway, but passenger SUVs are crazy money!! what most people do is buy the two seater and buy the extra seats online or order them separately. its all about the taxes

Back