• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Won't Start

wferg1

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol, Tn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
I am working on a 2002 ford explorer for a friend. The engine started missing on her way home. First figured I would check the plugs, definitely need replaced. Now the vehicle will not get fire. So I replaced the coil pack thinking it was going bad, Didn't help. Replaced the module in front of the battery, didn' help, replaced the ecm relay, didn't help. Replaced the crankshaft sensor, didn't help. No fire to the plugs. I have checked all the fuses and the fuel pump relay, All seem to be working as it should. I have seen where there is a camshaft sensor on some models of the 4.0, I can't seem to find on on this car. Help would be appreciated. I also changed out the computer to see if that was the problem. Thanks Wayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread into the 3rd Gen Forum and changed the title to help you get a better response.

Good luck getting it sorted. :biggthump

Before you do all that you should have checked all the grounds. No Fire may be as simple as voltage drop or a bad ground somewhere, I don't know where the ignition system grounds to.

I have wiring diagrams available for the asking. :thumbsup:

^^awesome!
I would start by testing to make sure your voltages are correct to get fire at the coils. the Misfire could be a ground that came loose and the no fire could be that the ground or a sensor is shorted out, Try checking for voltages at the coil and going back from there using a wiring diagram. as per the crankshaft sensor, i could be wrong, but some models don't have one, its just done by the ignition system, ford may have done this for the explorer also. If you don't have the codes read yet, those may point you in the right direction. You can borrow a scanner from most auto parts stores for free just by leaving an Id or credit card with them.

2002 ford explorer

^^awesome!
I would start by testing to make sure your voltages are correct to get fire at the coils. the Misfire could be a ground that came loose and the no fire could be that the ground or a sensor is shorted out, Try checking for voltages at the coil and going back from there using a wiring diagram. as per the crankshaft sensor, i could be wrong, but some models don't have one, its just done by the ignition system, ford may have done this for the explorer also. If you don't have the codes read yet, those may point you in the right direction. You can borrow a scanner from most auto parts stores for free just by leaving an Id or credit card with them.
I have checked some voltage. There seems to be voltage at the coil pack, 12 volts. But when cranking mode starts it drops to 6 volts. I had someone run the codes by a light. Can't make heads or tails and it was alot of numbers on his paper. I have had the battery off several times, dont know if the codes are still there. Have replaced the crankshaft sensor. Can't find the camshaft sensor if there is one.

2002 Ford Explorer

I have wiring diagrams available for the asking. :thumbsup:
I have printed off a few. Some threads state that pats, theft system may be the culprit. Same key has been working all along, Anyone know how to disable it? Thanks

Antitheft is a $%$%. If it cranks but don't start, and you get a blinking or solid theft light, theres your issue. if you have no theft light on while cranking i think that means your key is registering. (EDIT: Guess I should note its normal for it to blink, should have a blink as a deterrent from theft. you would be looking for a change in the habit, such as fast blinking or a solid light.) :)

Antitheft is a $%$%. If it cranks but don't start, and you get a blinking or solid theft light, theres your issue. if you have no theft light on while cranking i think that means your key is registering. (EDIT: Guess I should note its normal for it to blink, should have a blink as a deterrent from theft. you would be looking for a change in the habit, such as fast blinking or a solid light.) :)

Thanks I will check this in the morning.

2002 Ford Explorer won't start.

Thanks I will check this in the morning.

Update on this vehicle, thanks for all your help. I have a buddy at the Ford dealership that told me to bring it in and they would check it out in their spare time. The main wiring connection had come loose enough to lose connection which was causing this problem. I had looked at some of the wiring but had just missed this. Running like a kitten. :):D

No good, Maybe post a location of that here in case it happens to other explorer owners? Happens to one ,can happen to more. Good you got it fixed.

Back