2002 Explorer XLS 4x4 5spd Clutch - 23 or 26 spline - can VIN tell you? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLS 4x4 5spd Clutch - 23 or 26 spline - can VIN tell you?

Shankster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
I understand there are 2 potential 5 speed transmissions for the 2002 Explorers. One has a 23 spline shaft and the other has a 26 spline shaft. Does anyone have any idea if you can determine that from the VIN? My VIN is 1FMZU72E82ZB88001.

Long story short, my engine blew on a trip through Arizona and I left it with a mechanic there. I'm back in Colorado. I bought a salvage motor and it's being shipped to the mechanic for installation. I'm looking to buy a clutch on line to send to him but won't know the spline count till he separates the tranny from the motor. Can I determine that from the VIN or the build date (I don't have the build date handy).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked up the build date - January 16 2002.

I understand there are 2 potential 5 speed transmissions for the 2002 Explorers. One has a 23 spline shaft and the other has a 26 spline shaft. Does anyone have any idea if you can determine that from the VIN? My VIN is 1FMZU72E82ZB88001.

Long story short, my engine blew on a trip through Arizona and I left it with a mechanic there. I'm back in Colorado. I bought a salvage motor and it's being shipped to the mechanic for installation. I'm looking to buy a clutch on line to send to him but won't know the spline count till he separates the tranny from the motor. Can I determine that from the VIN or the build date (I don't have the build date handy).

A guess might be 23 spline used with 4.0L, 26 used with the V-8. imp

A guess might be 23 spline used with 4.0L, 26 used with the V-8. imp

You couldn't get 5-speeds with the V8s. There were both 26 and 23 spline used in the 4.0Ls. How you can know I don't know though. I would doubt the VIN can tell you.

@briwayjones "You couldn't get 5-speeds with the V8s"

That's a shame! I learn something every day. imp

I wish you could have. I would have loved to get a 2nd gen 5.0L with a manual.

2002 is 3rd. Gen. Typo? imp

Nope, I wish they had manuals in the 2nd gens. that had the 5.0L. It would be nice if they had it in the 3rd gens. with the 4.6L also.

Thread from the dead, but apparently 4.0 v6 / 5sp in an 02 Sport or Sport-Trac is the 23 spline, and only the 02 4-door SUV got the 26 spline with DMF...

Back