2002 explorer XLS Flex Fuel Turns Won’t Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer XLS Flex Fuel Turns Won’t Start

Josh Decker

Reaction score
City, State
Hartland, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4x4
I am hoping for some help identifying where to gonext. My wife's '02 Explorer (V-6 with Flex Fuel engine, car manufacture date is March '03), wouldn't start up this afternoon. She drove it earlier, no problem. This afternoon she got in to go, and it turned over, no problem, but it would not start.

I've checked the batter, 12.4V before I started messing with it. It has no codes coming off on my code reader (not scanner). I tried shifting into neutral and back into park to make sure that wasn't an issue. The anti-theft lift lights up when I turn the key to "on" and then goes out.

We typically run E85 through the fuel system. I went to try to check the spark plugs, thinking maybe they are fouled, but the boot didn't want to seem to come off. I felt it disengage from the plug, but couldn't get the boot off, and didn't want to damage the plug.

At this point I am thinking one of the following, any help with how to proceed with diagnosing would be greatly appreciated!

1. fouled spark plugs
  2. faulty fuel pump
  3. [ruled out] fault fuel pump relay
  4. faulty ignition coil
Thanks for the help!

Update: checked the relay with multimeter, checks out ok.

SOLVED: put a couple gallons of gas in the tank, let the fuel pump cycle a couple times and it started right up. Incorrect fuel gauge.

Back