2002 Explorer XLS Wheel Bearing

whitedog98004

Reaction score
City, State
Bothell, WA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Hi All,

Anyone ever had to do the rear wheel bearing in a 2002 XLS?
Is this something that a guy can do in the garage? The shops all want about $600 per side and that seems a bit steep to me. I am not a great mechanic, but I can take my time and ususally get minor things accomplished on cars.
I just have never done a wheel bearing before.

Any tips, technics, secerets I should know about?

Thanks,
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

Is this something that a guy can do in the garage? The shops all want about $600 per side and that seems a bit steep to me. I am not a great mechanic, but I can take my time and ususally get minor things accomplished on cars.

Thanks,
Brian
I had mine done on my XLT for $330 per side. $600 sounds like a lot of money. I know the bearing has to be pressed on so I don't think this is a typical run of the mill job.

best trick is to remove the whole knuckle and take it somewhere to have the bearing pressed out and put back in. Might want to find a shop who is willing to do if before you remove it. Getting that knuckle i haven't done it but others have. There is a post a few weeks back about this. . .

$600.00 is too much. I've had four or five put on my 02 (front and back).
$300.00 is the going price

D

Hi All,

Thanks,
Brian
This job is not something I would recommend you do based on your statement of not being a great mechanic. It takes special tools plus a good assortment of metric wrenches, deep well sockets and lots of patience. To get the knuckle off the car is no small feat.
I would also suggest you take a good look at your rear springs. I'll bet they are broken.

Back