• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer XLT 4x4 Issue

fled

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Hi Guys, I have Explorer 2002 XLT 4.0L and I need help figuring out problem with my 4x4.
As it got colder my 4x4 High starts to flash for about 10 seconds, then stops and in about 2 minutes does it again. Car drives different, feel kinda weird ..not like usual. Could it be 4x4 Module.. Shift Motor.. Or a Gem Module . Anyone had identical problem to narrow down posabilitys ??? and when i make sharp turn i hear rubbing noice and car twitches like as it got stock on 4x4 high and you making a sharp turn going slow. Will BODII pick up the problem if my 4x4high in cluster flashes ??? how much new parts would cost me around ??? please help out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to replace my 4x4 control module this year. Mine was it wouldn't engage at all but in reviewing others information your problem appears to be the module. They sell for around 140 bucks from amazon. Easy to replace, it's located behind the passenger side kick panel. Took me about twenty minutes. At Amazon it's a part number motorcraft tm101. Mine is a 2001 and not positive they are the same for the 2 years.

Be careful about ordering online. 4X4 modules are VIN Specific! I called ford and provided my VIN and they had the right one in stock.

I asked if they were different module part #'s and there is. They are not compatible. I almost ordered one online that would not have worked.

Open up your passenger side kick panel and look at the numbers on your control module and find that specific one.
Should be able to search for the correct one either on Amazon or Ebay or elsewhere. TONS cheaper than buying it from a Ford dealer.

The trouble with reading the old part numbers is that Ford updated them. Mine had a new part # that was nothing like the old.

Just trying to help from getting the wrong part. Maybe you can ask Ford for the part # nicely and go from there.

Hi Guys, I have Explorer 2002 XLT 4.0L and I need help figuring out problem with my 4x4.
As it got colder my 4x4 High starts to flash for about 10 seconds, then stops and in about 2 minutes does it again. Car drives different, feel kinda weird ..not like usual. Could it be 4x4 Module.. Shift Motor.. Or a Gem Module . Anyone had identical problem to narrow down posabilitys ??? and when i make sharp turn i hear rubbing noice and car twitches like as it got stock on 4x4 high and you making a sharp turn going slow. Will BODII pick up the problem if my 4x4high in cluster flashes ??? how much new parts would cost me around ??? please help out.

OBDII won't but ForScan will.

Back