2002 Explorer XLT growling from front Not the bearings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT growling from front Not the bearings

Johndrop

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
OK I had growling coming from the front so I replaced both front wheel bearings. They were do so no problem. But growling is still there. It is a bit wierd. It really only happens when turning slightly. If I drive straight no growl. If I turn I hear and feel the growl but as I continue to turn the wheel it seems to go away or growl very slightly. As I bring the wheel back to straight you hear and feel the growl strongest just before the wheel is straight then it goes away again.

Also it is not as noticable first thing when I start driving. The growl is there but slightly. As I continue to drive the care about 30 min or so it is very pronounced. So it seems to get worse as the truck warms up.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really don't know. I will mention that to my local garage when I drop it off. I am stumped.

Thank,

Rear wheel bearings. The sounds travel in very unbelievable ways in these. Although I have had feathered tires produce the exact same symptoms. Rotate them first to see if it gets better.

OK will rotate tires first thx. Low cost fixes first :salute:

Johndrop -- I seem to have the same problem. Some days are good, some are worse. If you figure it out, post the results please -- thanks.

Johndrop -- did you solve the problem, ? What was it? status? thanks.

Try checking the back of the front rotors, had a set rust then they rubbed on brake backing. Found this out when I changed rotors.

Back