2002 Explorer XLT loud consistent sound on decelleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT loud consistent sound on decelleration

cb22

Reaction score
City, State
Va Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I Bought a used 2002 Explorer XLT with 70,x.. miles this past week. everything was fine until yesterday I took it on a 80 mile round trip drive mostly interstate. When I was traveling back at 60mph I started hearing a noise in the rear end, a thump or bang it is very sudden and abrupt but consistently occurs one time every second or so. At first I thought it was road noise, but it mainly happens while letting off the throttle. Is this a familiar problem? It's a 2002, v8, stock explorer and the 4wd settings show 4wd auto, 4wd high, 4wd low. I tried switching into 4 high and it muffles the noise, but still is audible while decelerating but at much lower speeds.

Thanks,
Chad

Welcome to the forum. Being that it's a 2002 I would first look at the rear springs as it is problematic for that year. Second, I suggest looking at the u joints to make sure there's no slop. Finally, the rearend could also be the suspect. I look at these items in this order because the rear end is costly. There are threads here on the broken springs and also the rearend. Use the search box and it will point you there.

Check your rear diff fluid first, look for level and quality. Also, metal shavings.

Back