2002 Explorer XLT - No 4x4 - Question Regarding Module Programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT - No 4x4 - Question Regarding Module Programming

SideTrackTap

Reaction score
City, State
Jones, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4X4
Hi all,

Been a member for a little while but this is my first post.

I have an 02' Explorer XLT with Control-Trac. Some time ago, the 4x4 just stopped working. When pressing the 4x4 buttons, there is no power to the front wheels, no lights on the dash indicating 4x4 is on (High or Low) and no relay clicking of any sort including from the Multifunction Relay GEM Module (or 4x4 Module). No, nothing...

After searching the forum, it sounds like the issue is the module that is bad. Also from my search, I found that some people had issues with a ground wire on the transfer case. I checked that, and it seems fine. It's a little hard to get at and see, but it is attached, and everything is very clean.

So I guess I'm going to go with the module being bad. The one question I have is that I found a match on eBay for $130. However, they mention that it may need to be programmed by the dealer. Has anyone had any experience with buying a replacement module and needing it programmed?

Just figure I would ask before I buy it from eBay and then having the dealer have an issue with it IF I even need to have it programmed.

Also, the module on eBay is advertised as New OEM, just as side info...

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will have to be flashed/programmed by the dealer or a shop that has a vcm.

Alright. Thank you for the reply.

Chris

When I replaced my 4x4 Control Module in my '02 it was straight plug-n-play no programming required. Although I don't have Control Trac. :dunno:

Hi all,

Been a member for a little while but this is my first post.

I have an 02' Explorer XLT with Control-Trac. Some time ago, the 4x4 just stopped working. When pressing the 4x4 buttons, there is no power to the front wheels, no lights on the dash indicating 4x4 is on (High or Low) and no relay clicking of any sort including from the Multifunction Relay GEM Module (or 4x4 Module). No, nothing...

After searching the forum, it sounds like the issue is the module that is bad. Also from my search, I found that some people had issues with a ground wire on the transfer case. I checked that, and it seems fine. It's a little hard to get at and see, but it is attached, and everything is very clean.

So I guess I'm going to go with the module being bad. The one question I have is that I found a match on eBay for $130. However, they mention that it may need to be programmed by the dealer. Has anyone had any experience with buying a replacement module and needing it programmed?

Just figure I would ask before I buy it from eBay and then having the dealer have an issue with it IF I even need to have it programmed.

Also, the module on eBay is advertised as New OEM, just as side info...

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Might be helpful to check with a dealer on this one. I believe you have to supply the VIN when you buy to be sure you get the right one.

When you say "Control-Trac", is that a designation on the vehicle itself; like a badge on the back of the hatch door? I'm just wondering what the difference is between that and "AWD" and regular old 4x4. Is "Control-Trac" like a traction control feature that isn't on the regular 4x4 models?

I know it's pretty easy to get the wrong module for these when buying off ebay. Sometimes the sellers don't know for sure either. Maybe the dealer can at least steer you to the correct part number based on your VIN.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

*EDIT*
Just checked the owners manual (sticky) and page 188 mentions "Control-Trac" but refers to what appears to be the three button Auto 4x4. So I think the "Control-Trac" designation is just another name for regular old electronic 4x4 with the "Auto", "4x4HI" and "4x4 Low" feature. So there shouldn't be anything special about the 4x4 module behind the glove box. VIN number should get you the correct part number.

Hopefully someone will correct this info if wrong.

Might be helpful to check with a dealer on this one. I believe you have to supply the VIN when you buy to be sure you get the right one.

When you say "Control-Trac", is that a designation on the vehicle itself; like a badge on the back of the hatch door? I'm just wondering what the difference is between that and "AWD" and regular old 4x4. Is "Control-Trac" like a traction control feature that isn't on the regular 4x4 models?

I know it's pretty easy to get the wrong module for these when buying off ebay. Sometimes the sellers don't know for sure either. Maybe the dealer can at least steer you to the correct part number based on your VIN.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

*EDIT*
Just checked the owners manual (sticky) and page 188 mentions "Control-Trac" but refers to what appears to be the three button Auto 4x4. So I think the "Control-Trac" designation is just another name for regular old electronic 4x4 with the "Auto", "4x4HI" and "4x4 Low" feature. So there shouldn't be anything special about the 4x4 module behind the glove box. VIN number should get you the correct part number.

Hopefully someone will correct this info if wrong.

Yes, I only referred to it as Control Trac because of what I saw in the owners manual like you saw on page 188. There is no special designation on the truck and simply has the three button 4x4 control as shown in the manual. It's an XLT, and doesn't have too many bells and whistles.

The module I ordered is from a supposed auto parts dealer in WI and the number on my module matched the number of the one being sold, so I should be good there. It's waiting on my porch for me at home. As soon as I get home this weekend, I'll give it a try out of the box and let everyone know what happens.

Thanks everyone for the help and input,

Chris

Excellent. Let us know how it turns out.

I think I got the "Control-Trac" confused with the "Advance-Trak" that I think ford has. I've seen some vehicles with the "Advance-Trak" badge on the back hatch. I think that has more to do with the Roll Stability Control (RSC) that came out after the roll over concerns that hit the media years back.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Be sure to disconnect the battery before swapping out the 4x4 Control Module.

Update: I got the new module and swapped the old with the new (after disconnecting the battery, thank you BigRondo :) )

No luck - same thing.

Did a little more investigating to just make sure I had my ducks in a row. There are about six fuses that relate to the 4x4 and/or the GEM module. All fuses test good, but one fuse slot, #15 under the dash (4x4, memory seat disable), does not have power (key on or off). I also checked the ground on the transfer case again, but it seems tight and non-corroded.

So I guess at this point, I'm just hoping the new module needs to be programmed. Either way I'll have to take it to the dealer to get fixed as this is pretty much the extent of my electronics diagnostics skills. And I need my 4x4 for the winter.

Thank you again for all your help. If you have anything else to add, I'm game, but as for right now, I'll try to get it to the shop Tuesday and report back.

Chris

You must have an early build '02? I have a late build '02 and my owner's manual shows fuse 15 under dash to be 5A for rear wiper motor, tire pressure monitor, and instrument cluster. What is the build date on yours? Was your 4WD drive working when you bought the vehicle?

Did the place you bought the new module from run your VIN to make sure the module was correct? When I bought my new 4X4CM the parts guy got into a discussion about "Engineering Numbers" vrs "Part Numbers". I don't remember what was what exactly, but the new module had a different number on it than the old one did.

I don't think there is any "programming" for the 4X4CM. Never heard of it being necessary before for gen 3 Explorers - but maybe it's necessary for early builds. Dunno.

Mine is an early build '02 and like I said, no programming required. I'll check my shop manuals tonight and report any findings.

My build date according to the sticker is 02/02.

Here is the link to the module I bought...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140880644132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I did not verify my VIN, only entered my Make, Model, etc. on the eBay page and pretty much went on the fact that the number on my module matched the first number listed in the description (and the pic).

For what it's worth, I put my VIN on the www.fordparts.com website and it came up with a part number of 14B205, which is part of the number listed on the module. Here is the Ford Parts page:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2002&make=Ford&model=Explorer

I guess in retrospect I should have double checked with the dealer, but that's water under the bridge now. Guess I was hoping it was a simple part swap.

Background: Bought the truck a little more than a year ago. 140k on it, one owner, garage kept, very nice condition. 4X4 worked when I bought it. Used it throughout last winter but not my daily driver. Launched my boat in August of this year. Used 4X4 on the launch ramp, but it MAY not have worked at that point (first boat launch on my lake and was a bit nervous and in a hurry, but I thought I noticed the 4X4 light NOT go on when I hit the 4X4 High button) Shortly after that, the trans started acting up. Ended up getting it rebuilt.

After I got it back from the shop, I took my boat out of the lake and noticed the 4X4 not working. Called the trans shop and they said bring it back, we'll take a look. Took it back to the shop and they were very cool and looked it over. They basically said, "There is no power going to the Transfer Case and to one of your fuses." (probably the #15 ).

Sorry if the above info was relevant and I didn't include it until now. But I figured it wasn't as I THINK the 4X4 wasn't working before the trans rebuild. In any event, I know it's not working at all now.

Background on me: Previous Bronco owner (86' and 95'). Can handle minor to moderate mechanical repairs on trucks. Obviously familiar with 4X4, but on the Broncos, it was never always in "Auto" as with this Explorer.

Again, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Chris

Well it sounds like lack of power to F2-15 is relevant to your issue. Maybe you should chase that next. Do you have access to schematics for your early build 2002?

Well it sounds like lack of power to F2-15 is relevant to your issue. Maybe you should chase that next. Do you have access to schematics for your early build 2002?

I do not. The most I have is a Haynes repair manual. The wiring schematics in that are limited at best.

Chris

I should be able to get you some info/troubleshooting steps/diagrams from my shop manuals. I'll take a look tonight when I get home.

All the troubleshooting in the manual requires the special Ford Diagnostic Tool. I am going to PM the Diagrams & Connector info.

SideTrackTap, Check your PM. ;):thumbsup:

I do not. The most I have is a Haynes repair manual. The wiring schematics in that are limited at best.

Chris

One of these would be an excellent investment:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...NEER+WIRING+DIAGRAM+MANUAL&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have one out in my garage boxed up somewhere. That's how I know they are for early build 2002s. It is valid about 80% of the time for my late build but I have to be careful using it to make sure I'm not looking at something that changed after 03/2002.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. I have the 3 "paper" repair manuals, volumes 1 & 2 along with the wiring diagrams. I keep those in the Ex. I also have the same on DVD that covers 2000-2003 on my desktop & laptop.

If you are going to work on the EX yourself, in my opinion, they are a must have!

Back