2002 Explorer XLT, rear brakes... And more brakes... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT, rear brakes... And more brakes...

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
So I noticed my back end was dragging a little when I hit the brakes... Time for pads!

This is the first time I've ever done the brakes on this SUV. I pulled my caliper and my rotor and to my surprise I found a damn drum too. Drums and discs on one SUV?

I was studying the setup and it looks like the drum/shoes are only responsible for the parking brake aspect of the system. is this correct?

I noticed the inside of the drum/rotor is HIT. TONS of rust, scale looking crap, etc. I also noticed the shoes are just metal flats that look like they have no pads but they are completely rust coated like they never make contact with the drum.

So again, am I correct in thinking this is only the E-brake or am I way off? I'm in the middle of this project now and my daughter had a 3:45pm doctors appointment! :(

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are tons of posts on here about the rear brakes, and the difficulty dealing with the parking brake pads.

So they are parking brake pads only then... That was all I needed to know.

I literally just finished changing my back brakes. The Explorer has disc brakes all around, the drum looking part is parking brake only.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Drums and discs on one SUV?

I was studying the setup and it looks like the drum/shoes are only responsible for the parking brake aspect of the system. is this correct?

I noticed the inside of the drum/rotor is HIT. TONS of rust, scale looking crap, etc. I also noticed the shoes are just metal flats that look like they have no pads but they are completely rust coated like they never make contact with the drum.

So again, am I correct in thinking this is only the E-brake or am I way off?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The rear brake rotors, also have an inner drum brake surface for the parking brake aka Emergency Brake. Very common for the drum parking brake area to be full of rust and scale, since the parking brake is rarely ever used on a automatic transmission driven vehicle. I've been driving 34 years and have yet to set a parking brake on one of my vehicles other than to test it out prior to my yearly state vehicle inspection. The drum brake shoes for the parking brake are made with very little pad material as compared to regular brake shoes, but they cost the same or more. PITA to replace as well, compared to disc brake pads. You might have to replace the parking drum brake hardware as well, the springs etc. come in a kit that does both sides of vehicle. Also, clean and lube (anti-seize) up the star wheel threads for easier adjustment after you put everything back together.

Yes, the drum brake pads are just the parking brake as others have said too. I changed mine back in the fall and they are a bit of a PITA to change unless you remove the hub. I did mine without taking the hub off, which leaves you very little room to manuever.

Worth it for me though as I tow wave runners and need the parking break at the launch ramps. Hate to see my explorer sunk in a lake.

Shouldn't need to remove hub to do e-brake. As others mentioned there are plenty of posts here. Use the search. BTW, use a scratch awl to assist with the installation of the spring.

I ended up finishing up the brake job shortly after I posted the original question.

I ended up having to replace BOTH rotors during the process but I did not replace the e-brake pads. I'm going to tackle that project this weekend I think.

I'd rather have them working then not even if I don't ever use them often.

Back