2002 Explorer XLT Sport Track or 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT Sport Track or 4x4?

bllk665

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, Ontario / Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
As a new member here I have been reading hundreds of related threads going back many years. Often I see my (new to me) 2002 Explorer XLT 4 door referred to as as a 'Sport Trac' and sometimes I see it referred to as a '4x4'.

Is there a difference or is it both?

Mine has the usual 3 transmission buttons, including 4x4 high and 4x4 low.

Thanks for your consistent and useful advice this far. According to available FMC Servicing Dealer computer records, my new/old 2002 has apparently avoided many of the failures and other issues so many other 2002 owners reported over the years.

This is my first experience as a Ford owner so I am learning lots about the history of the Explorer line of trucks.

This fall I will be driving my Explorer from home here in SW Ontario to Playa Del Carmen Mexico, just 55 miles south of Cancun right on the Caribbean Sea. I plan to leave my Explorer in Playa and from then on fly back and forth each winter season between October and April when we return to Ontario.

My local Ford dealer has just completed all of the services suggested by Ford for this vehicle at the 150,000 mile (has 240,000 kms) mark including rotors and brakes, plugs and wires, all drive line fluids and transmission fluid flush. There is no evidence this truck was ever abused.

I just installed a 'ScangaugeII' and am about to program it for 'TFT' and "FP'.

Other than helping me differentiate between 'Sport Trac' and '4x4', any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...!

Back