2002 Explorer

FlyAU

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
Did anyone else read the September 2000 Motor Trend? There was an ad for next month's Truck Trend that had what appeared to be a 2002 4-door Explorer on the cover. Looked somewhat similar to the Sport/Sport-Trac front end only with a different grille (thank god...the 2001 grill is wretched, but I digress...). I will be eagerly searching the newsstands.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4 door comes out this fall, so that would make it a 2001. As for the Sport grill, I think it looks great. Ford finally changed the grill design after 10 yrs. Ranger gets a new grill too, thank god.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 07-31-2000 at 11:13 AM]

Yea, I am not surprised. When I bought my Exp, they told me fall for the 4 dr. Probably due to the grill change. ;)

Actually it was due to them not being able to get
all the parts from their suppliers.

AH HA!! I should have known that! I had a defect in my steering wheel and also some damage done by the dealer on it's first oil change and warranty work(I was a bit pissed). The dealer ordered the parts on the first week of April and they came in last week. Something about a national backorder. Irritating....

A defect in the steering wheel? Thats odd. I ordered one for mine and got it in a week. Same wheel thats in the 2001, the airbag cover is just different. What did the dealer do to your truck?

The service department where I bought my truck hired a bunch of neaderthals. I took my trunk in to get an oil change and to do some warranty work on the drivers power window. They had to replace the motor assembly for the window and to do that they had to grind off one rivet which holds the assembly to the door. Now a mechanic with any common sense would cover the seat and dash knowing that grinding metal creates sparks and hot flying metal shavings(DUH). Well, not my mechanic, he just got down to business right there all over my new truck. Burned a hole in the seat, floor mat, floor carpet, sill plate and nerf bar cap plate. When he removed the driver door panel he layed it face down and put a nice cut in the door armrest. Do you think they said anything to me about it? Nope! Came to pick up my truck and they pulled it out for me. I got in and the dash was covered in black soot. My seat had a hole in it, with a further inspection I found the other damage. What, did the service MANAGER just think that I wasn't going to notice the damage when he got out of my truck? Yes, the service MANAGER brought me the car. Man I was pissed, pissed like never before. But, I was cool and respectable. So, I went through the channels and talked to the regional supervisor, etc. In one ear and out the other.

So, long story short they ordered the parts in April and I just picked up the vehicle an hour ago. It was too good to be true though, they ordered the wrong part for the nerf bar and the sill plate never came in. I also got a new scratch in front of the rear side window. What do they care though, it's not thier truck right?

As for the steering wheel, it had wierd folds right around the 12 o'clock position when I bought it. I figured now big deal and the dealer ordered the part. These guys aren't smart enough to use a '00 part on a '01 even if they are identical. I did get a whole new steering wheel, airbag cover, airbag, criuse and whatever else. I guess they couldn't order just the wheel itself. They ordered the whole package, 11 pieces.

Since I was at the dealer getting my truck I decided to check the price of door handle that I scratched. Standing there with my truck right behind me, the parts guy asks me, "What year is that explorer?"

Need I go on?

Needless to say, I won't be going there again accept to pick up the last two parts to istall myself.

Yea, it's a long one, but I had to vent.;)

In my opinion, automotive dealerships are one of the most corrupt & indifferent organizations out there...I'd trust the Mob before my local Ford dealer.

Such total incompetence. My Ford dealer is almost as bad, but I know the Service Rep so he takes good care of me. I just realize that each service stop will require at least 2 visits. Even Oil Changes. They've failed to replace the oil valve seal a few times and its leaked. Its the best Ford dealer in the area though.

I just had my tranny rebuilt. They failed to connect the 4WD wiring harness, took it back. Our family reunion was last weekend in West Virginia, my wife and son wanted to go down early (since my son was putting the reunion on) set up camp and all, I drove down in my car that night. I figured, sure the new tranny in the Explorer is fine for them to drive 5 hours, 360 miles to WV with numerous 8% highway grades. What did my son find when he stopped to get gas? A foot wide puddle of tranny fluid under the truck and tranny fluid spray on the rear hatch. They bought a bottle of tranny fluid and kept checking it all weekend. There is now a LARGE puddle on my Garage floor. It goes back for the third time this Thursday. Get this, this is the best Tranny team Ford has.

Incompetence :rolleyes:

It doesn't HAVE to be that way though. Service at my Lexus dealer is fantastic, and always done right the first time.

Stephen,
you can always ship your Limited out here to California for service. My dealer hasn't screwed up anything yet. But then, he's the largest Ford dealer in the world and I haven't really had any problems with my Sport. Just these aggrevating recalls. Just got another one today for 'Jumper Harness ant Multifunction Switch'.
I believe that's the one for the windshield wipers coming on whenever they feel like. I had that taken care months ago and now they finally issue a recall. :mad:

It would probably take less time to ship it to California, have it serviced and ship it back then it takes to get it done correctly here.

Dealers

Well, I bought my truck a local dealer by my house. Not for any deals, just because it was down the street. My mistake, but don't get me wrong it's a great truck and defects happen. It's the PR that leaves something to be desired. I talked to the Service manager, Parts manager, Owner, Regional Manager's Secretary(obviously he didn't think my call was in his job description) and I wrote a nasty letter on my dealer survey. To my amasement Ford actually called me, but again, "Sorry, but there is nothing we can do here, you need to talk to the people at your dealership". Could someone give me a paddle please? I might drown in this bulls--t. It was the same thing everytime I called to check up on the parts, who was I, what Black Explorer that was damaged, what parts where they again, we had to reorder the parts because they were dropped off the backorder list....excuse after excuse. I was sick to my stomach.

Talk about a bad taste in my mouth...UGH!!!

There is a great Ford shop about 30mins away that's great and they have shop hours from 6am to 12am. They are clean and don't mess around. Never had a problem with them. We can't say they are ALL bad because there are a few that do a great job. I am kicking myself in the butt for not going back to my original dealer from where I bought my 99 Ranger. Two weeks after I bought my Ranger was a package in the mail with an accesories catalog and a bottle of touch up paint for my ranger. Being my first Ford purchase, I thought all Ford dealers did this. I guess not. Live and learn I guess.

I have owned many brands of cars and all the dealers are the same. All the service shops are bad, but I'd have to say Pontiac was the worst I had ever seen.

All is good though, I have my baby back and she will be taken care of. All major repairs done, I know where not to go.

I bet a lot of us have these stories.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 07-31-2000 at 10:30 PM]

One dealer tried to sell me on a full tuneup at 30,000 miles. I said, oh really, and I showed him exactly where it said on the maintenance schedule that the first required tuneup is at 100,000 miles. I asked him what was so special about my Explorer that I needed a tuneup 70,000 miles before it was required. He said and I quote "sorry man, just trying to make a living". I informed him that his living would not come needlessly out of my pocket. Never been back to that dealer.

hmmm, had a dealer install a new air filter without me knowing until I got the bill. I told them to take it out and to put my old one back in because I only had 6000 miles on it. Maybe it needed a new filter, maybe it didn't. Should of asked me first. They said, don't worry about it we'll charge it to the dealership. Smart way to run a business.

Gee I dont know if I am glad to hear that my dealership is not the only one messing up or mad to hear that none of them get it right

the explorer is actually getting bigger too!!!

i just read this little article....check it out....

Dead Link Removed

Here's a pic of the new Expedition...err...Explorer

Dead Link Removed

It also has 240 hp and perhaps over 300 lbs. ft. of torque. :)

Here is where I got the picture from. I just thought I needed to give them credit for the picture.

http://www.auto.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aaaaaaaauuuuuuugggggg!!!!!

Originally posted by riffman
i just read this little article....check it out....

Dead Link Removed

From that article:

Some Explorer owners "didn't feel (the Explorer) was very comfortable to drive," said David Rodgers, vehicle dynamics supervisor. "What we were going after was something that's more car-like but still has the SUV capability."

Just when they finally get the look of the thing right (when compared to the 2001 Sport) they go and throw the rest of it away!!! :mad: :mad: I have said it before and I will say it again, why can't they make a car based SUV for the people who want a "rugged looking station wagon" and leave the trucks for the people who wan't trucks????????????????

Back