• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Exlplorer XLS AUTO 4x4

Rocky Weir

Reaction score
City, State
Garden City Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello, My name is Rocky and I have a question regarding my 02 explorer and I have a question regarding the transfer case. I commute with my explorer and pondered removing the front driveline to take the load off the front diff during the warmer months where the 4x4 is useless. Ive read on this forum that because of the way the transfer case is set up, that the car will potentially roll even in park.
My question is, is there literature out there on the ol innerweb that has more information on these type of transfer cases and how they work? Im also trying to isolate a mild rumbling noise in the front, directly under the floorboard (not a wheel bearing, ive already checked them and replaced the passenger side, driver side is tight) when I turn left from a dead stop. The grumbling goes away as soon as the car straightens out and doesnt make any more noise. It also only makes the grumbling once ive driven it a few miles, never when its cold. Any help with finding literature on the transfer case would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks, Rocky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more im reading, the more im starting to fear that its my viscous coupler that is the coulprate. So, now its just trying to figure out if its ok to just remove my front drive line and drive it like that for a while till I can afford to have my transfer case rebuilt. Again, im aware of some people experiencing their car rolling even in park after they took out the drive line. You would think that the car would then roll all time even when the parking pawl in the transmission is engaged.

I'm thinking it could possibly be you front differential. Best way to tell is get up off all fours turn key on but don't start put it in nuetral and get under it and manually turn drive shaft. See if you can tell where noise is coming from. Then disconnect front drive shaft and manually turn drive shaft again. If noise goes away your transfer case is fine it's the front differential.

Ok, so I do have the xls AWD and I did remove the front driveline this morning. Took it for a test drive and I didn't hear the grumble like I did before. I did notice that my U-joint was very dry and a little tight. So @TechGuru, I've heard from both sides on removing the drive shaft and its potential consequences. The problem is they can potentially roll even when in park. But since this isn't the advanced track system, does it have an effect on the transfer case once the front driveline is disconnected? i honestly fear it's my transfer case (viscous coupler) that is to blame.

I'm thinking it could possibly be you front differential. Best way to tell is get up off all fours turn key on but don't start put it in nuetral and get under it and manually turn drive shaft. See if you can tell where noise is coming from. Then disconnect front drive shaft and manually turn drive shaft again. If noise goes away your transfer case is fine it's the front differential.
Thank you, I removed driveline and noise went away, thinking I might pop off the front diff cover and check it out.

Sounds like you have 4WD not AWD
I need to find out exactly what transfercase I have, but the main reason I believe I have the AWD is because I don't have the option to switch to 2WD. My only options are "4x4 Auto", 4x4 high, and 4x4 low. Hopefully Borg Warner has some literature online on how to rebuild them and if they can be operated without the front driveline.

I need to find out exactly what transfercase I have, but the main reason I believe I have the AWD is because I don't have the option to switch to 2WD. My only options are "4x4 Auto", 4x4 high, and 4x4 low. Hopefully Borg Warner has some literature online on how to rebuild them and if they can be operated without the front driveline.

There is no 2wd option.

You have the regular 4X4. You can add a 2WD mode look up "brown wire mod"

Back