2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 starter issue! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 starter issue!

Safeauto101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4wd 4.6l v8.

I bought a starter and know it is good. I know the battery is good. All have been tested.

However, the key will only turn on the accessories and will not turn the truck over. I wired a switch to the starter and that will engage the starter. But, when I do so it will make the noise as if you had the car running and you turned it over not knowing.

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe flywheel? If so can someone tell me how big a job it is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try putting thin washers under the bolts between the starter and the block to shim it away a little.it may be the wrong starter

The starter I have matched up perfectly with the old one. Although on the starter I have now it was from a salvage yard. An it was marked 99 F150 4.6. But everything looks identical.

The starter I have matched up perfectly with the old one. Although on the starter I have now it was from a salvage yard. An it was marked 99 F150 4.6. But everything looks identical.
they may have different flywheels

they may have different flywheels

Not for sure, however the dimensions of the Ford F150 and the Ford Explorer are different. But, starters are identical. So I'm stumped on that one.

Another thing if someone can answer could the THEFT system be a problem for this? If at all possible? Just getting ideas.

Not for sure, however the dimensions of the Ford F150 and the Ford Explorer are different. But, starters are identical. So I'm stumped on that one.

Another thing if someone can answer could the THEFT system be a problem for this? If at all possible? Just getting ideas.
is the anti theft light on?

Only when the battery is nearing the "dead" stage. But when battery is fully charged it is not. However, I did some research and the 99 F150 flywheel has 164 teeth. And the 02 explorer flywheel has 138 teeth. So that would probably be an issue with wrong starter?

Only when the battery is nearing the "dead" stage. But when battery is fully charged it is not. However, I did some research and the 99 F150 flywheel has 164 teeth. And the 02 explorer flywheel has 138 teeth. So that would probably be an issue with wrong starter?
that would be the difference ...do you have the old starter still?

You may want to try shorting across the terminals of the replacement starter with it on the ground and measure how far the gear extends. I purchased a replacement starter on my '05 4.6L and although the starter looked identical to the original, the gear would not push far enough to engage the flywheel. It made a sound like it was just spinning because it was. After researching all numerical markings on the starter I found it was for a '92 F150 V8 and was packaged wrong. It was claimed that the starter was a "new " one but my guess was a reman. Had the store give me another and it worked fine. I had the original repaired and it now sits on a shelf if I ever need it.

I have solved this issue. The starter was wrong. Finally got one off a actual explorer. It fires up nicely. Just need to get a safety switch so it will turn over with a key instead of having to run wires from the starter in order to start the truck. Thank you everyone who tried to help!

I have solved this issue. The starter was wrong. Finally got one off a actual explorer. It fires up nicely. Just need to get a safety switch so it will turn over with a key instead of having to run wires from the starter in order to start the truck. Thank you everyone who tried to help!
good to here ..thanks for letting everyone know how you took care of this issue

Back