2002 Ford Explorer Auto Lighs.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Auto Lighs..

Why do they even have auto headlights???
I ask because the headlights are always on anyway unles I put the emergancy brake on.
Jut not sure what putting the knob pointing to the "A" on the left does.
at night you still have to tur it to the right to put the lights and for lights on.

I guess this is just another stupid question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um. . .that would mean you have daytime running lights if they are on all the time. If you want to get rid of the DRLs I'm sure it's pretty easy but I don't know how myself. I would ditch them ASAP if I had them.

Ryan's right. You're talking about the daytime running lights. So that's why when you engage the parking brake, the lights turn off. The DRL turns your high beams on at a reduced intensity. All other exterior lights are off but the high beams.

The "A" on the light switch IS your automatic headlamp system. When the system senses the environment is dark, the headlights and all other interior (excluding dome lights, only the dash lights) and exterior lights will turn on automatically.

what is the purpose then of auto lamps??
they stay on even after you shut the car off???

Autoheadlights, on a 98, turns the lights on at dark and allowes you to have them turn off either right when you shut the veh. off or delay turning off for however long you want up to 2 min. or so. Gives you time to get into the house so you dont have to walk in the dark and trip on a skateboard.

It is for a 2002 so how do you change the delay for the amount of time..
thanks for all the answers...

Do you have your owner's manual?? If so, there should be instructions on that. It's not as simple as the 2nd gen as the control is located at the mirror. There's some programming required for that. Like I said, try reading the owner's manual first and see what you can find.

I have an '02 as well, as far as I'm aware, there is no adjusting the delay for the headlamps. Im assuming you mean trying to adjust the time it takes for them to turn off. I might be retarded, but I am def not aware of being able to adjust those.

As far as the purpose of having the auto function and having daytime running lamps, well, none really. The only purpose as eddiebauer said, is that when the sensor decides that it's dark out, your daytime running lamps shut off, and your regular lights turn on, with a little more intensity or brightness if you will.

I know it can be programmed. The Eddie Bauers and Limiteds with the trip computer can set such things and more.

Well, I browsed through the manual (for 2002 Explorer), it says that the auto-lamp function will keep your lights on for approximately 20 seconds after the ignition is turned off. No mention of adjusting the time of delay however.

Back