2002 Ford Explorer Blend Door Plastic Clip Broken Solution | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Blend Door Plastic Clip Broken Solution

mckeymouz

Reaction score
City, State
Lousiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and my climate control switch (the one that changes from air conditioner, defrost, heat, etc) would only blow out of the A/C vents regardless of what was selected.

After a visit to a mechanic (who quoted me over $900.00 to fix), multiple visits to the parts store (all recommended replacing the actuator) and hours on google/you tube. I was at a loss. I did not want to have to remove the dashboard.

Luckily while checking under the dash, I spotted a small broken plastic lever. When I switched the climate control switch, I could see the vacuum "piston" did indeed work, but the lever was broken.

After multiple attempts with twist ties (thanks to google search), some washers and nuts... nothing seemed to work. Finally, I used a piece of foam roofing insulation to "transfer" she shape of the plastic (see photo). Using this, I took a piece of sheet metal and cut out a replacement piece. Additionally, I cut out a small piece for the back (note the slot to accommodate the plastic piece in the back).

Then, using a 1 1/4" nut and bolt I assembled it back together. everything works fine now! (Except my knuckles... they are rather scratched up from the tight space!)

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1B

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bke

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1B

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1BkeUx

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bke

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1BkeU

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bk

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bk

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bk

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bk

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bk

0B9kmbmty5zHbbktKR1Bke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem on my 04 explorer 36,368 miles. At 62 I can't do that work anymore, went to my mechanic (old school) found the part from Ford $279 ( upper half of chamber with all the doors). He removed the dash installed the new chamber. Total price $525. Everything works fine now. Won't have done it except for the low mileage.

you dont need to remove the entire dash if you have a 3rd gen, and 4th gens are even easier with you not having to even remove the center console (panel is cut out of main dash on drivers side)

motorcraft OEM replacement part purchased from amazon for $57 shipped. about to replace it this weekend. should only take an hour.

you dont need to remove the entire dash if you have a 3rd gen, and 4th gens are even easier with you not having to even remove the center console (panel is cut out of main dash on drivers side)

motorcraft OEM replacement part purchased from amazon for $57 shipped. about to replace it this weekend. should only take an hour.
Can you supply the part number and or link?

the pictures are gone sir. can you please repost

2004 Explorer XLS 4.0 Sohc Flex

Clip broke that connects to the actuator to control the mode door. Drilled out with a 1/16 bit a little bit, used some little screw to go threw where the pin was. Fully Functional...til it's not hahah

20200226_115634.jpg

2004 Explorer XLS 4.0 Sohc Flex

Clip broke that connects to the actuator to control the mode door. Drilled out with a 1/16 bit a little bit, used some little screw to go threw where the pin was. Fully Functional...til it's not hahah

I did this on my old 2002 XLT. This fix lasted for years and was still working when I sold it. I used a small bolt and nut instead of a screw. It was a much simpler fix than replacing the actuator.

Thanks Eddie! I'll do that when/if it fails. going to try and fund a thread for an oil pressure sensor now

Back