• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer bypass ac

Billington7282

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Just had a dilemma where my ac compressor became so loose that it nearly fell off. Upon further inspection, the bolts were broken off inside. Luckily I had made it home from work, but I was really worried about getting there the next morning! I had read about bypassing with a shorter serpentine belt, so I tried my luck at measuring with a piece of speaker wire and taking that to the local advance auto store, (thank you dad!). They sold me the Dayco belt number 5060730 and I am pleased to report it is a perfect fit! Since I get such excellent advice from these forums I thought I would share to hopefully help someone else in a similar situation. Happy Explorering!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What belt routing to bypass the compressor

I have a 2002 explorer also with a froze compressor and want to bypass it , i bought the belt you mentioned in you post and cant figure the way to route the belt , also did you remove the fan to make room to work ?

I have a 2002 explorer also with a froze compressor and want to bypass it , i bought the belt you mentioned in you post and cant figure the way to route the belt , also did you remove the fan to make room to work ?

How long did you burn the clutch when it siezed? Are you sure the pulley bearings are bad?

If not just unplug the clutch power don't it don't accidentally come on and you should be fine.

Why not just fix it? I have a compressor coming today from a junkyard I got for about $40.

If your pulley bearing is bad and you're not going to replace the compressor this may help: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IY6RYQ/

The clutch was on for about 50 city miles after compressor seized by my wife, Now makes noise and burns even when off, would like to replace in time just heard of all other parts to replace also if a compressor contaminated the system. Forgot to mention mine is a 4.6 v8 , Thanks for reply

The clutch was on for about 50 city miles after compressor seized by my wife, Now makes noise and burns even when off, would like to replace in time just heard of all other parts to replace also if a compressor contaminated the system. Forgot to mention mine is a 4.6 v8 , Thanks for reply

Holy s***. How could she not smell it burning?

I started smelling mine about 30 seconds after hearing it go clunk and my a/c was even on recycle. I didn't know what it was at first, but once my air got warm I knew it. Turned it on fresh air and turned the a/c button off until I got home. Once cooled I unplugged the clutch so I can use all settings without it coming on.

The compressor is obviously the most expensive part, I just got one from a junkyard for $40 I'm going to try to use until I get afford a complete system replacement. How the oil in the system looks will determine if I remove the condenser and flush it with acetone.

But to do it proper yourself you're looking at:
$150-$200 new compressor (3rd party, you don't want to know what motorcraft costs)
$60 ish new condenser
$35 ish new accumulator
about $15 worth of DuPont Suva R134a (3 cans) [buy online!]
8 oz's of PAG 46 oil (about $8)
Flush is very expensive, which is why I use acetone. Acetone will eat o-rings and the rubber hoses so you can only flush the evaporator (and the condenser if you're not replacing it) with it after disconnecting everything else and removing the o-rings. You'll have to get some duraflush to flush the hoses with.

After i told her not to use the ac she used the defrost, my fault for not disconnecting the clutch wire , i can probably live with out ac here in SLC, Utah , must be hard to not have ac in Texas, I really need some time to look at the clutch i am thinking there might be a chance that its just the clutch hub and bearing , compressor might be good , Thank you for all the information ,good luck on yours

Now i remember, the engine would stall when the ac was turned on, so the compressor must have seized and then ruined the clutch

After i told her not to use the ac she used the defrost, my fault for not disconnecting the clutch wire , i can probably live with out ac here in SLC, Utah , must be hard to not have ac in Texas, I really need some time to look at the clutch i am thinking there might be a chance that its just the clutch hub and bearing , compressor might be good , Thank you for all the information ,good luck on yours

Yep, Defrost will turn the compressor on if it's over 40 degrees out and the A/C push button has no effect! They may call it manual a/c but it's not fully manual anymore at all.

Now i remember, the engine would stall when the ac was turned on, so the compressor must have seized and then ruined the clutch

Wow, that is odd, especially on a V8. The clutch or belt should burn up before stalling the engine.

So pretty much what your saying is I can unplug power to the ac and for get about using a smaller belt or pulley. Then just put a new belt on. I tried to turn the ac by hand but was not able to.

Thanks
Again

So pretty much what your saying is I can unplug power to the ac and for get about using a smaller belt or pulley. Then just put a new belt on. I tried to turn the ac by hand but was not able to.

Thanks
Again

As long as the pulley spins smoothly yes.

FYI:
To use defrost but without the A/C on just the "Floor" vent setting. It is the exact same as defrost with floor but does not command A/C.

FYI:
To use defrost but without the A/C on just the "Floor" vent setting. It is the exact same as defrost with floor but does not command A/C.

Floor should not open the defrost vents, if it does something is wrong...

Back