2002 Ford Explorer - Lift Kit Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer - Lift Kit Questions

blturpyn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
I was looking to put a 3" lift kit (or leveling kit) on my explorer sometime in the near future, not realizing that I just put on a Hunter grille guard that is attached to the frame.. which would mess everything up if I were to lift my explorer. Any ideas of how to make it work??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Suspension lift or body lift? If you do a suspension lift its not a problem. If you do a body lift you'll have to make brackets for the guard.

I was looking more towards a body lift instead of the suspension lift, any pictures of what the bracket should look like for this to work??

I know there is a forum on here somewhere, ill look for it. In the meantime, just mimic what you have on there know just get maybe 1/4'' steal plates and cut to size, basically 3 inch higher haha. Mimac the bolt patterns and you should be good! :)

1.5" body lift = no modifications needed to the brush guard brackets, the guard will just be slightly lower in relation to the body, but no big deal.

3" body lift = no need to make your own brackets, just modify the hunter brackets with a grinder or dremel, like so:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3037953&postcount=17

plus with the 3" body lift you can have your brush guard and still be able to install tow hooks.

That's awesome Ronin and thanks Brian for the pictures on the link... Now I can do a body lift and keep the bush guard...

No problem. I honestly like the way the brush guard looks with the 3" BL much more than without it. The guard moves about 2" higher and sits perfectly. You'll see what I mean after you do it. Here's a few pics of mine to compare it to yours. I've got a 3" BL with 2.25/1.75 spacers and to hooks are very easily accessible :bigthumbup
41-8A0FE9B3B737-25088-000016E683F18D58_zps0fa1bac7.jpg
a8a8f2f3.jpg
6828bc1a.jpg

Back