2002 Ford Explorer Sport Brake Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Brake Fluid

dreamerchant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Sport 2002
Hi. I bought an old 2002 Ford Explorer Sport few months back which was running great. Recently, the brake error is showing on the display. I checked the brake fluid level which seems to be low.

My questions are:

a. Should I just top up the brake fluid? I don't know what fluid was used by earlier owner (Dot 3 or 4). Will it be harmful to mix old fluid with new fluid? Does it matter if the new Dot 4 fluid mixes with old Dot 3 fluid?

b. Or do I need to flush out first before putting new fluid?

Thanks buddies :)

If the brake fluid is more than three years old and looks dark, it probably contains water with contaminants and should be completely flushed. DOT 3/4 brake fluid such as Valvoline is almost clear when new. At the very least use a kitchen bulb basting syringe to remove the fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and refill. Keep in mind as brake pads or shoes wear, the fluid level will go down as far as the minimum mark that usually indicates worn pads. I suggest buying a quart of fluid and bleeding until each wheel is running clear. Start with the rear right, RL, FR, and FL always keeping the master cylinder above the minimum level. NEVER use power steering fluid in the brake system or you will have a very expensive repair. BTW, power steering requires Mercon or Mercon V fluid. The linked manual below has all the fluid info you need. GL

Brake system warning light: To confirm the brake system warning light is functional, it will momentarily illuminate when the ignition is turned to the ON position when the engine is not running, or in a position between ON and START, or by applying the parking brake when the ignition is turned to the ON position. If the brake system
warning light does not illuminate at this time, seek service immediately from your dealership. Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected immediately by your servicing dealership.

Owners Manual (Pge 11)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03expog5e.pdf

Back