2002 Ford Explorer Sport w/ rough idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Sport w/ rough idle

pgwaltney

Reaction score
City, State
West Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
I have a stock 2002 Explorer Sport with 90,000 miles on it (I'm in the military and drive around a lot) and lately it has been idling extremely rough, has poor acceleration and sputters when returning to idle from high rpms. I've replaced the MAF sensor, EGR valve, fuel filter, DPSE, and have newish plugs and wires. The codes that come up are p1130, p1131, p1150, p1151, p0171, and p0174. Any help would really be appreciated, because i don't want to go to the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im looking for the same problem i believe its a weak fuel pump, does it stumble in the higher rpm's?, i have 1130 and 1150 (bank 1 and bank 2) so it has to be something that affects both sides if you only have the one side then i would be more suspect of that side of the fuel rail or injectors gone bad

Have you cleaned your IAC (idle air control)? It gets really dirty over time, causes idle problems, is very easy to get at and clean or replace if it fails the OHMS test.

let me help with these codes

p1151, p0171, and p0174

1151 is the drivers side upstream 02 sensor .before the cat ,its in the pipe just after the exhaust manifold.

the 0171 and 0174 are usually thrown when the intake gaskets need replacing .
more so the upper intake orings .they are just under the upper intake and as long as the lower isnt leaking you just need do those orings .
they are rubber oring type gaskets that shrink with age and allow air to get past them ,throwing those lean codes .

typical signs are
bad cold weather idle
bad cold idle that clears up when the engine gets warm
(the orings swell when they warm up some and start sealing better)to a point .there comes a time they just wont seal anymore .

research those codes here on the forum and do some reading and you will find your way .
also look for an obvious large vacuum leak ,that could throw some lean codes too.
thanks for your military service and be safe out there. :thumbsup:

the link posted above would be the vacuum leak i spoke of .

Back