2002 Ford Explorer Transfer case housing gasket. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Transfer case housing gasket.

McFudden

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Explorer xlt
This Explorer is going to kill me. I’ve fixed my AC. Got it idling smooth... well as smooth as it ever has. Now, I notice that my transfer case is leaking all around the gasket. I’m not talking about the shaft gasket, but the housing. That 7 bolt gasket that goes around the whole case. Full disclosure: I’ve never pulled a transfer case. It would appear that I can drain it, pull the case apart, and replace the gasket, with the explorer on jack stands or am I insane for thinking so? I’ve attached a pic of the leak.

B16F8E74-6D7D-453D-BA51-F327DD3AE42E.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the T-cases I have worked on only used a small bead of RTV, like PERMATEX ULTRA GRAY , or a non aerobic sealant, to seal the two sections together.

But first, clean off and dry the t-case from oil and then observe over the course of some miles to pinpoint the leak.

I’m seeing it drop right from that seam. I mean, I suppose the oil could be dropping off onto the transfer case and snaking it’s way around the case, but that’s doubtful. That’s a long way to travel.

That’s not a common leak area. Likely it is the gasket between the transmission extension housing and transfer case. Make sure it not coming out of the breather. From the picture it looks to be leaking from the top. Check the fluid level in the transfer case to determine if it actually losing fluid out is it transmission fluid. Good luck
Brad

The fluid is obviously dirty so it’s hard to see if it’s red transmission fluid, but I’m not losing oil out of the engine. I’ve checked it religiously and it’s been perfect. I’m literally seeing it drop off that transfer case when I get down to check. The transmission was recently replaced. Like 2000 miles ago, replaced. I haven’t gotten it up on jack stands or a lift to really check.

May have cracked the case at fill or drain location.
281C45DF-4787-4569-AD2B-A2F63E1B5524.jpeg

Sweet Baby Jeebus, I hope not! That looks expensive as hell.

Sweet Baby Jeebus, I hope not! That looks expensive as hell.
Eh, I’d have it tig welded in place, or epoxy it shut. You’d be far better off dropping the transfer case than trying to get it split in the truck (which very well might not even be possible). Dropping it will be far less complicated than splitting the cases and getting it back together. I’d clean it and verify it’s the issue. To me the whole thing looks kinda wet. If it were the center gasket the rest of the case will stay clean.

Yeah, I’ve come to the realization it’s probably where it meets the transmission. I just has the transmission replaced like 2000 miles ago. They either fragged the gasket or they were too light with the torque wrench. Oh well... probably gonna pay, what?... 3 hours of labor.

So I finally got my explorer on a lift and believe it or not, it actually IS that back seal leaking. Considering my transmission has 2000 miles and my engine has 10,000 miles on it, and the transfer case has 172,000 miles on it, I’m taking this opportunity to tear it apart and clean it up. Also since it’s in the air, might as well rebuild the suspension.

Back