2002 Ford Explorer transmission problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer transmission problem.

Reaction score
City, State
Kaiserslautern
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
OK, where to begin. Hit 90,000 miles and the O/D off light started to strobe. At 101,000 miles service engine soon light came on. Pulled codes at a local mechanic and got gear 2 ratio, gear 3 ratio, and pressure solenoid b as codes. Guy tried to tell me it would run 1800 euro's to fix. I'm not a total idiot. I could buy a NEW tranny for that. SO, i decided to check fluid and filter and look for metal fleck. bought 13 quarts of fluid, but could only get about 3 out when I dropped the tranny pan. Those 3 were so burnt i had to double check and make sure i didnt drop the oil pan. No metal fleck, not even on the magnet. anyways, on to my questions.

1. How do you completely drain the transmission and fill it? I PCS in 3 weeks and dont want to waste 70 bucks worth of transmission fluid.

2. Is it possible that the gunk that was in my fluid is just causing a malfunction with said solenoid?

3. ratio incorrect, does that mean that the bands need adjusted? or could it be something worse.

any help would be great, I'm trying not to pull the transmission, but i don't think i will be able to drain it completely without doing that. I'm no transmission expert, but i'm no mechanical moron who decided to save a buck either. Thanks everybody. :roll: :exporange :roll: :exporange :roll:

I have the same problem... I took it to someone to look up the codes and he said I needed a new trany!!!!

Welcome to this forum! Transmission shops will always try to get you to install a new transmission. The solenoid blocks on these 5R55W transmissions are sensitive to dirt, and usually start to show their age around 60K miles. Start with a new solenoid block. You could purchase one from WWW.800700Tran.Com. Here's the link: http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/159. I just want to clarify something. The original poster has a 5R55W, and the second poster has a 5R55E. The 5R55E does not use a solenoid block. It has 4 shift solenoids, one TCC, and one EPC solenoid.

Noticed a difference

OK, I think it may just be the filthy transmission fluid, and the gear ratio. It's more responsive after just swapping out a pan worth of fluid. 3 quarts and its not shifting as hard. so, I need to find out how to flush out the transmission. and buy another 3 quarts of fluid. And thank you Brooklyn Bay. I might just have to wait until after I ship my truck to the states, but 99 dollars plus adjusting the gear ratio should be a hell of a lot less than 1800 euro. :salute:

Back