2002 Ford Explorer V8 with 4x4 kicking in and out on its own | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer V8 with 4x4 kicking in and out on its own

mustangshelby68

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I just had the transmission rebuilt due to a blinking OD light. The ford dealer wanted to replace the trans at 4400 bucks, found a local shop that has redone hundreds of these tranys at a cost less than 50% of what ford wanted. Also just replaced the rear abs sensor (after a year of abs light being on) - ford dealer reluctantly gave me the trouble code but would give me the description - no problem with the internet.

Now the 4x4 unit is kicking in an out while driving down the road, especially when slowing down. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this. No trouble codes or lights turning on when this occurs. The computer was reset by unplugging the battery when the ABS sensor was changed so that shouldn't cause this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Funds are low after the trans.

:exp::thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anytime I've heard a control mod going bad, the unit would not work until it is replaced. This vehicle will go into auto, high and low modes, however in auto mode, the vehicle jerks because the 4x4 unit it kicking in and out. A garage told me that it could be anything and to ignore it until it finally stops working so that it will be earier to diagnos then.

have you cleaned the contact sensors on the tcase?

there were issues of dirt/metal on the sensors tripping 4x4....

Had same problem many years ago - I believe Ford said it was a bad speed sensor - they replaced defective item and problem was fixed - don't recall all the details - sorry.

Good Luck,

K

Back