2002 Ford Explorer won't start... Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer won't start... Help!

WiebeDave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, I just got the engine rebuilt. Yesterday my Dad drove it home after using it to pick up some stuff. This morning I got up, went to go out with it and it just plain wouldn't start. The starter motor sounds normal but nothing happens. The starter motor just starts up. I have checked the fuses in the 2 main fuse boxes and none are blown, I have not checked relays (I do not know how.) Someone told me it could be fuse F41 that connects the ignition switch to the PCM, if so where is that fuse?

Edit: It has the 4.6 Litre V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did he leave any gas in it?

which engine? if it's the 4.0, have you checked the coil pack? if it's the 4.6, have you checked the COP's? (this would require at least two to be bad or unplugged.) most likely you have the 4.0, and the wiring into the coil pack may not have been seated, which means no spark. if this is it and you reconnect the harness, floor the gas pedal, then try to start it - this will turn off the fuel pump and injectors while you crank, to clear any flooding in the engine. Worth a try, but if you can provide more info, we might provide better help. good luck!

which engine? if it's the 4.0, have you checked the coil pack? if it's the 4.6, have you checked the COP's? (this would require at least two to be bad or unplugged.) most likely you have the 4.0, and the wiring into the coil pack may not have been seated, which means no spark. if this is it and you reconnect the harness, floor the gas pedal, then try to start it - this will turn off the fuel pump and injectors while you crank, to clear any flooding in the engine. Worth a try, but if you can provide more info, we might provide better help. good luck!

It has the 4.6 litre V8, No I haven't what are the chances of at least 2 suddenly not working? So if I floor it and try to start it I will turn off the fuel pump and injectors and will clear any flooding in the engine?

that was always the process on the EEC engines in the past. I have to admit I haven't had to try it with my Ex or any EEC-V engine, but it's reasonable to assume they didn't change that function.

As to the COPs, the chances that two failed at the same time are pretty slim, however they (or the injectors) could have come unplugged. you did say that the starter will engage, but the engine won't catch. I would have thought about the battery terminal clamps being broken otherwise... You can also check the fuses for the fuel pump (and the safety switch for that matter - its wiring connection may have come loose)

Was the check engine light on after the rebuild? if so, you should check for codes if you know someone with a scanner. if you are able to pull them, please post here.

If F41 was blown you would not have power to the PCM and thus no power to the starter - no crank.

that was always the process on the EEC engines in the past. I have to admit I haven't had to try it with my Ex or any EEC-V engine, but it's reasonable to assume they didn't change that function.

As to the COPs, the chances that two failed at the same time are pretty slim, however they (or the injectors) could have come unplugged. you did say that the starter will engage, but the engine won't catch. I would have thought about the battery terminal clamps being broken otherwise... You can also check the fuses for the fuel pump (and the safety switch for that matter - its wiring connection may have come loose)

Was the check engine light on after the rebuild? if so, you should check for codes if you know someone with a scanner. if you are able to pull them, please post here.

Sounds, good. I checked the fuses and the safety switch. Non of those. I just decided to take it into my mechanic. He fixed it in about 3 hours and only charged me about $270 (That includes towing!) It was a loose wire. He just checked the power to all the relays and found out that one of the wires (I think the one to the fuel pump) had fallen out of socket. Thanks Everyone for your help... My explorer is back on the road!

Back