2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 6cyl->Where are the fuel injectors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 6cyl->Where are the fuel injectors?

2ndcovenant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002ExplXLT 4x4 4.0L 6cyl
Hiya folks,

This explorer and I are going all the way to the beyond it seems to find why it won't start. It will crank but but start. Anyhow, the next step that I am trying is to test the fuel injectors...the only catch is that I can't see them anywhere. I checked the haynes manual and to be honest, 9 times out of 10, the haynes manual is junk in this case. It is for a 2002 ford explorer but it doesn't have any truly relevant information for a 4x4 XLT. There are always major differences between what the manual says should be in place or what should happen and where things really are in this engine. I have also searched for 2002 ford explorer fuel injector location videos or pictures and haven't found a one.

Can someone do me a Huge favor and post pictures or give detailed instructions on where the fuel injectors are?
I know that 3 are supposed to be under the Plenum but I want to test the three outside of the plenum first.

Any help is appreciated greatly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can see the brown/orange injectors under the rails on each side.

82d26faa-0e1d-45f9-a3dd-729b19324ba9.jpg

Have you checked any of the other things that people suggested in your other threads?

Thank you very much. So I have to pull off the manifold. In answer to your question, yes. I have tried everything that has been posted so far to my threads, and that's not just talk. I really have tried everything mentioned so far. This truck was great before it stopped running. Now I wish that I had never bought it. If I knew what the problem was I could probably fix it pretty easily but everything that I have heard of that might be the fix, I try and the problem remains.

So you don't have any codes?

Correct, no codes at all. I read yesterday morning that fuel injectors can throw several different codes or even none at all. At this point, it seems like it could be anything and that worries me.

I haven't had the chance to work on the truck over the past couple of days due to family issues and tomorrow and the next day are my wife's birthday and our anniversary so again I won't get to touch the truck. I have a mechanic telling me not to open the manifold unless the three fuel injectors outside of the manifold all show as good. He is fairly adamant about this for some reason but he doesn't have time to come to my house to look at the truck. The picture that Plasticseng posted above shows all 6 fuel injectors inside the manifold, right? I may be seeing it wrong. Several websites say that there should be three fuel injectors outside of the manifold on a 2002 XLT 4x4 SOHC 4L 6Cyl but I am just not seeing any outside of the manifold at all. Do I have to take off the manifold to find *all of them? I am trying to make sure for when I get to work on the truck on Tuesday.

Here is a shot with just the throttle body cover removed. You can see three of them, but the middle passenger side is obstructed by the manifold.

20150130_133511A.jpg

Thanks plasticseng. I tested the fuel injectors and they were all good. Want to hear a good dunce moment? A Jeff Foxworthy's Here's Your Sign Moment??? Hopefully you'll get a great laugh. So after changing out the Alternator, Starter, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter and Battery and buying Fuel Pressure Test Kits and Vacuum Test Kits and various tools.... Since the fuel pump was under warranty, I pulled it out to replace it.......THE TRUCK WAS OUT OF GAS! Yes, I am man enough and have enough self esteem that I have no problems announcing this bit of utter dumbness. In fact, I find it kind of funny. At least the truck has a lot of great new parts.

In good news my wife isn't going to divorce or kill me she says, although my father (jokingly) said that I better have my life insurance in order because next time he comes to town, he's going to kill me.
I also learned a Lot about my truck. Hopefully I won't need to work on it any time soon now but I definitely gained a lot of know how.

Hey, we've all been there to some extent. I'm glad it's working for you.

Thanks plasticseng. I tested the fuel injectors and they were all good. Want to hear a good dunce moment? A Jeff Foxworthy's Here's Your Sign Moment??? Hopefully you'll get a great laugh. So after changing out the Alternator, Starter, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter and Battery and buying Fuel Pressure Test Kits and Vacuum Test Kits and various tools.... Since the fuel pump was under warranty, I pulled it out to replace it.......THE TRUCK WAS OUT OF GAS! Yes, I am man enough and have enough self esteem that I have no problems announcing this bit of utter dumbness. In fact, I find it kind of funny. At least the truck has a lot of great new parts.

In good news my wife isn't going to divorce or kill me she says, although my father (jokingly) said that I better have my life insurance in order because next time he comes to town, he's going to kill me.
I also learned a Lot about my truck. Hopefully I won't need to work on it any time soon now but I definitely gained a lot of know how.
look at the bright side you shouldn't have to buy any parts you have a lot of used spare parts that you know work.

Back