2002 ford explorer XLT 4x4 no air will blow threw vents only threw defrost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer XLT 4x4 no air will blow threw vents only threw defrost

2002 ford explorer XLT no air will blow threw vents only threw defrost,

• Unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Franklin Brown

Reaction score
City, State
DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 ford explorer XLT and air will not blow threw vents only threw defrost, is their anyway this can be fixed without having the dealer take the hole dashboard apart and charging me $1000.

Yes, but it depends on where the break is. The door flaps for the vents are vacuum actuated, so even if there is a loss of vacuum, the doors go in to defrost mode by default. This is like a fail safe mode to make sure you can see out of your window even when things go wrong. This is very likely the problem you are experiencing- no matter what mode you select, you only get defrost. You will need to inspect the vacuum reservoir for leaks and if it tests good you will need to trace the lines and do the same. If the break is inside the cabin you will have to open up part of your dash. However, when I had this problem in my old SportTrac, the line had got loose from the reservoir. I just reconnected it and it was fixed. The reservoir was located on the passenger side behind the headlight between the fender and the wheel liner. I imagine it is the same area on the 3rd Gens.

If you have the manual heater controls, you can lower your glove box and get pretty good access to things through there -- "lower" it, not remove it.

Back