2002 Ford Explorer xlt Biggest tires stock/maybe body leveler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer xlt Biggest tires stock/maybe body leveler?

Okay, so this year my Exploder has really hit me in the wallet. I bought it a few years ago after a friend of a friend had a 2002 Exploder that he remanufactured the engine, and rebuilt then later replaced the transmission in it. I bought it mostly to be a backup vehicle/toy/project. This year started with minor repairs, cleaned the MAF, replaced the IAC, but the engine hasn’t leaked a drop of oil. Same with the transmission. The transfer case however decided to start to leak. So I took the opportunity to tear it apart and clean it up. I also replaced most of the suspension. New struts (I broke a coil.. oops) new ball joints in the front, tie rods, etc... also did breaks all around. I figured since I had it in the air I’d get it lifted. Of course you’re all saying right now, “good luck sucker! They don’t make a lift kit because of the independent rear!” I want to get it off the ground. Since I’ve invested some more moola this year I’m kind of committed to getting it off the ground and maybe putting some lockers in it. So the obvious solution to getting it higher is bigger tires/wheels. Here’s where I come to you guys, what’s the biggest tires I can put on it without rubbing? Also, should I bother with a body leveling kit like strut extensions? Will that get me some more room for tires? I realize some of you are rolling your eyes right now at my lack of knowledge, but educate me, please. Are strut extensions worth it? Will I have to modify the Exploder much? Am I cutting the fan shroud and extending the steering? Are 32s out of the question? 35s?

I have seen two people on here squeeze 285 75 16s at stock height, but most people stick with 265 75 16s. I just bought a set of 285s and will be throwing them on soon. I think the strut spacers look nice, but also limit your travel and aren't the best for offroad use.

Back