2002 Ford Explorer XLT P0775 error.. no check engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT P0775 error.. no check engine light

MintyFresh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Explorer
4x4 6cyl, trans code V (5r55w) 200k miles

Autozone only error code came up P0775 - Pressure Control Solenoid B
Check engine light never comes on

OD light flashes once I hit second gear+
Revs high when switching to second gear. Engine revs to 3,000 - 4,000 RPM range before shifting to 2nd Gear, depending on amount of throttle applied (i.e. higher throttle, higher shift point).

Won't shift past 4th gear
Transmission is smooth other than that, no slippage, no noises, no grinding

What do you think, Servo or Solenoid pack?

:thumbsup::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, I'm pretty lost here.. if anyone has any insight whatsoever I would really appreciate it :salute:

Sounds like your OVERDRIVE band could be broken, it's both 2nd and 5th. Try adjusting it, if it turns in more than 3 turns its broke, if it stops, back off 2 turns and remove the intermediate servo, they can fail too.

Sounds like your intermediate band could be broken, it's both 2nd and 5th. Try adjusting it, if it turns in more than 3 turns its broke, if it stops, back off 2 turns and remove the intermediate servo, they can fail too.

If it is broke, I have to drop the transmission to fix it correct?

Yes and it also has to be just about completely torn down to get to it, so its the best time to just rebuild it.

Ok thanks. When tightening it, will there be resistance when to stop? I don't want to snap it by going to far (if it's not broken).

No you won't break it, the adjustment bolt will just stop turning.

I must have been half asleep on my first post, you need to adjust the OVERDRIVE band, its one towards the front of the transmission, it is for 2nd and 5th...sorry..

It is adjusted the same way, so if it does tighten before 3 turns you will want to remove the overdrive servo and check it.

Haha that's what I first thought!

Will report my findings this evening.

Ok so I did the test and it turned 2-3 times and finally stopped but there were threads left before it stopped

This is where it stopped

2n1rvvk.jpg

2ic7eae.jpg

Hopefully all is well with band, back it out 2 turns and take it for a drive, if it's still no good pull the overdrive servo.

I pulled the Solenoid to get a much better look at the band, it is definitely still there and tightens/loosens with the OD screw.

Original owner hadn't dropped the pan in 215k so I was dying to see what it looked like. Pan was normal and fluid was dirty.

Before pulling the Servo, just how likely are these problems caused by Solenoids? Servo seems like a real *****, but I'm up for it if need be :thumbsup:

So this is how I found it when I pulled it out. Cause for concern?

wccso3.jpg

Thats your problem, busted solenoid! You got off easy... assuming you didn't just break it during removal.

Update:

So far so good with the aftermarket OD servo replacement.

Here's to thing, the shift points are a little funky. Slippage now too.

Where is a good tutorial on adjusting the bands properly?

I've thought about bringing it into ford to have them do it exactly right. Wonder how much they'd charge, probably take them 30 minutes

First step is determining which model trans you have exactly. Then get torque specs for each bolt, and number of "back off" turns for each. It seems likely they are misadjusted since your earlier post showed you adjusting them, I'm presuming without retorquing to spec.

The square ends don't play well with most sockets, so I estimated my torque by feel. To be truly accurate you will need a socket that fits the square end, allowing use of a torque wrench. Anyone now what kind of socket will play with these square ends? I haven't seen a 4 point socket before, but it could be out there.

First step is determining which model trans you have exactly. Then get torque specs for each bolt, and number of "back off" turns for each. It seems likely they are misadjusted since your earlier post showed you adjusting them, I'm presuming without retorquing to spec.

The square ends don't play well with most sockets, so I estimated my torque by feel. To be truly accurate you will need a socket that fits the square end, allowing use of a torque wrench. Anyone now what kind of socket will play with these square ends? I haven't seen a 4 point socket before, but it could be out there.

I got a 12 point socket to fit, it's not perfect but it worked :thumbsup:

The damn nuts are so rusted it's a PIA

So did readjusting the bolts improve your shifting issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back