2002 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Greatdane41

Reaction score
City, State
Lilburn, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I'm having a lot of trouble with the door ajar alarm going off at all times of day and night when the car is locked. I've had this problem for months now so I've been leaving the truck unlocked. I have tried spraying WD40 in the latches and for a while that would work for a while. I'm sick of dealing with it and want to know how I can disarm the system but still have the doors lock. How do you tell if you have a generation 1 or 2? Where exactly is the door ajar fuse or connector I can remove so it will not blow the horn or set off the alarm. I have been holding off taking it to the Ford garage since I don't have an extra $500 to play with. Can anybody help me with this? I'm not an ace mechanic but I can find my way around the vehicle.
Thanks,
Ken:(

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
It's hooked to a switch in each of the door jambs. It's part of the courtesy light circuit. Sounds like one of your switches is going bad. I would open each door one at a time and manipulate the switch by hand to see if it's working properly.

The hatch has a switch too, but I'm not sure if it uses the same type of plunger switch that the doors use. Maybe someone else can help out with that detail.