• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer

Spike48622

Reaction score
City, State
Farwell, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have the Eddie Bauer with V8 that has the OD light coming on, then shortly after that the check transmission light. Seeing that there is no dip stick I am unable to check fluids. A tranny shop has told me that I need to rebuild the transmission for 2200. Right now I am still driving it. It shifts hard from first to second then seems to be fine until it down shifts back to first to come to a stop. I will appreciate anyone thoughts on this. After all I have read this tranny has had lots of issues and why Ford did not recall them is unfair. I have less than 130k on the vehicle and love it. Any thoughts besides a new tranny. It just seems that buying a used one would just get me the same problem down the road???????

Welcome to this forum! It's possible to check the fluid level if you climb under the vehicle to remove a plug on the transmission. Find out what the trouble codes are. These transmissions have known issues with the servo bores, and the solenoid blocks developing issues after 60K miles.

Back