• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Ranger. Oil pan leak.

SGBaker

Reaction score
City, State
Fuquay-Varina NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger
I'm a NEW MEMBER! I didn't know it was such a problem getting a repair on a 2002 Ford Ranger for an oil pan leak. I've been told that bolts have to be removed from the engine to get to the oil pan. I think this must be a bad design by Ford??? Where do you recommend I go to get this repair done? How do you locate a qualified mechanic to take care of this in Garner NC or Fuquay-Varina NC (near Raleigh NC). Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I am not sure what you mean by "bolts have to be remove to get to the oil pan". The oil pan is bolted to the engine on most engines. A cross member of the chassis can be in the way in order to drop the pan. This may require lifting the engine a little to remove the pan. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the engine to remove the oil pan but I think on a Ranger you can just disconnect the motor mounts and lift the engine.

Used to was that some of the older 2.3 engines had pans that had bolts that were connected to the bell housing. Not the older Ranger 2.3/2.5. The new 2.3 might have an aluminum pan that forms part of the cradle for the main bearing web. The new v6 has a cradle for the main bearing caps between the pan and the block. Used to be called a 'girdle', which ties all of the mains together into one piece, helping rigidity. You cannot even set the Duratec 3.0 down on its oil pan without risk of deformation.
So, maybe sgbaker was told that the pan has bolts that run through a girdle on his 2.3, which could be true. I'm going to be lazy, and not pull up the shop manual.
tom

Back