2002 has maintenance free 150,000 mile transmission (no dipstick) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 has maintenance free 150,000 mile transmission (no dipstick)

Waterboy

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Interesting article about the 2002 Dead Link Removed

"The real star in the new Explorer drivetrain is the optional five-speed automatic. It's smooth and responsive, quickly downshifting when the gas is mashed, and upshifting late or early depending on what the driver is doing with the throttle. It's a great transmission and makes the engines look and feel strong. Called "maintenance free," the transmission doesn't even have a dipstick; it's sealed by the factory, and should not require service for 150,000 miles."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Waterboy
Called "maintenance free," the transmission doesn't even have a dipstick; it's sealed by the factory, and should not require service for 150,000 miles."

This scares me! I think I'd add a dipstick if I was to buy a vehicle with a sealed transmission. Some things just can't be trusted to be maintenace free.

Originally posted by Waterboy
Interesting article about the 2002:

...Called "maintenance free," the transmission doesn't even have a dipstick; it's sealed by the factory, and should not require service for 150,000 miles."
ROFLMAO...Nothing made by Ford is "maintenance free." Yes, I drive the hell out of my truck, but only through regular maintenance have I been able to keep it in top-notch condition.

Ford has resorted to making friggin' idiot boxes...:rolleyes: I'm going to laugh when all of these transmissions explode and their owners are like "WTF?!?"

Hummm!

Personnaly I dont think anyting that has mechanical parts in it should ever be sealed. When you talk about sealed beraing or ball joint, it's not that bad, because it's not so a pain to replace them, but a tranny... When I busted my ball joint I replaced them with greasable units, I attend them every oil change so I'm sure of there condition. When only the dealer can look at your truck, it's not a good thing. On the other hand, most of the future buyers dont want to care about these thing, and maybe will sell or exchange the truck way before it has any major problem.

Sheesh... No wonder it doesn't have a dipstick, the dipstick is the one that came up with the idea of sealing the tranny. That sounds pretty dumb to me. You bet your life that when those 150,000 miles are up and you need to replace your tranny fluid, be prepared to scratch your ankles buddy!

Not good thinking Ford!! Over confidence can be a sign of ignorance.

After having a transmission in my 92 that went out 11 times in a year and a half, I think this is a great idea AND a dumb idea. If the transmission actually lasts that long (made by Ford, it won't) it would be great. But you will always wonder if the fluid is okay or not. Since Ford is apparently so sure of this new tranny they should offer a 150,000 mile warranty on it to prove to the customers that it actually works. They can say all they want abouta sealed transmission but if it goes out 500 miles after the warranty goes out its your fault because you didn't maintain it correctly.

Anybody got a drillbit??

Many of the newer Pontiac Grand Ams and Chevy Malibus have sealed transmissions. Its not really a new concept. I don't know if I'd trust my transmission that long especially the way I drive.

seriously, i wouldnt trust it either. if you think about those pontiacs and sunfires wont be driven as hard as an explorer. how many sunfires do you see towing a boat or unsticking a car out of mud or 4wheeling? i havent seen any!

but seriously, someone just plain beating the hell out of it could be worse than towing...it would really have to have the hell beat out of it to equal towing though...

Umm...wait for the transmission housing to explode?

The Ford's MBAs got out a sharp pencil!

Great sales pitch to give prospective buyers that warm fuzzy feeling on the one of the most feared auto repairs (aside from engine)

Can I venture a guess on how they want it to play out?

"1st contact" with service department after the warranty expires:

"well, your ARE having some minor transmission problems ....but I can't fix, its a factory sealed unit..... you wouldn't want me to break the seals?
.... you have to replace the entire unit!"
(who could argue? everyone has seen those little tags "do not remove cover.. no user serviceable parts)

So there your are at the dealer, peeling off 50 dollar bills and asking "when should I stop."
Sorry for being so cynical.

Back