2002 Idle Problem and 4 Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Idle Problem and 4 Codes

Ryker1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Sport 4x4 4.0L
My 2002 Explorer Sport XLT 4x4 4.0L has developed an idle problem. It starts fine when cold and after a five minute warm up it begins to idle up and down and then eventually stalls. It can be driven but acts the same when my foot is off the accelerator pedal.

Previously, the check engine light came on and I've had a local garage do a fault code retrieval (check engine light) and they come up with these codes:

P0102 MAF Signal Low Input to PCM
P1152 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 2
P1132 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 1
P1451 EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

They suggested that I needed new O2 Sensors and gave me a hefty quote.

After reading some forum threads and noticing that my air filter container was unclipped and open, I replaced my air filter, cleaned my Idle Air Control Valve and cleaned my MAF Sensor. Same issue but slightly better idle. I decided to buy a new IAC Valve and this had no effect.

Any ideas where to go from here? Also, where do I find my EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid and how do I troubleshoot it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any Ideas?

Please, can anyone help me with this.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You will probably get better results posting in the

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Sub Forum
Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Your '02 Sport is covered there.

Good luck & Happy Exploring. :biggthump

Thanks for the tip, BigRondo

You're welcome. Good luck getting it sorted!!

Back