2002 Mountaineer - a/c only out of drivers side vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mountaineer - a/c only out of drivers side vents

briand1023

Reaction score
I recharged the A/C last week and now I notice its blowing cold air, but only out of the two vents onthe drivers side(left of the steering wheel and the leftmost of the pair int he middle of the car), the rightmost of the middle pair and passenger side are blowing warm air. Anyone have any idea whats causing this and a fix?

Thanks
Hot n Cold at the same time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had the same issue recently, got hot here a month ago and broke down and took to A/C shop.

My Explorer (02) was seriously low on freon. The x with rear air takes 3.5 # of freon.

I had 14 oz.(not even 1 lb)!!

As soon as it was charged correctly/ fully , all was good again. Im 99.9% sure you have same issue.

Good luck.

Same issue here i added three 12oz cans and its all good because were having a major heat wave in the northeast right now. I found if you shake the can really well and hold it upside down the can will empty out all the contents. The directions say not to do so but it worked better that way. I kepted adding until the compresser stopped circulating off and on. Also if it was cold last week in all vents and now just two vents you most likely have a leak. 1 can off the leak sealant should be added.A good rule of thumb is if ac coolness last three weaks then goes warm the can will seal hole any bigger or faster leak you will have to see a pro. good luck

Same issue here i added three 12oz cans and its all good because were having a major heat wave in the northeast right now. I found if you shake the can really well and hold it upside down the can will empty out all the contents. The directions say not to do so but it worked better that way. I kepted adding until the compresser stopped circulating off and on. Also if it was cold last week in all vents and now just two vents you most likely have a leak. 1 can off the leak sealant should be added.A good rule of thumb is if ac coolness last three weaks then goes warm the can will seal hole any bigger or faster leak you will have to see a pro. good luck

Don't charge with the can upside down! You'll send liquid into the compressor, and guess what? Liquid doesn't compress!

It's like hydrolocking an engine! You'll bust internals and blow out the delicate reed valve(s).

You can get away with it if you do it verrrrrry slowly (it turns to gas before it hits).

But generally, only charge gas. To make it take the gas faster, put the can of r134 in a pot of hot water, or in a heating pad.

Thanks everyone, I added a second can and its now colder and cold on the passenger side vents. I think I may need a 3rd can...the gauge is reading in the low end of the "filled" area.

I recharged the A/C last week and now I notice its blowing cold air, but only out of the two vents onthe drivers side(left of the steering wheel and the leftmost of the pair int he middle of the car), the rightmost of the middle pair and passenger side are blowing warm air. Anyone have any idea whats causing this and a fix?

Thanks
Hot n Cold at the same time
I have the same problem on my 02 explorer, any luck yet?

Back