2002 Mountaineer Differential Cover Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mountaineer Differential Cover Removal

gfreeborn

Reaction score
City, State
livonia, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
How do you remove the 2002 Mountaineer Differential Cover. I see two bolts that are connected to the supension ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove those and then there are 8 (i think) holding the cover on.

Okay, question along the same lines. How in the world do I get around all this stuff in front of my rear differential cover? It's welded to the frame.

photo.jpg

Help! I'm planning on rebuilding the rear diff tomorrow.

Wouldn't you remove the driveshaft and lower the rear differential down with the axles attached and then remove differential cover? Then rebuild pumkin and then re-install.

Wouldn't you remove the driveshaft and lower the rear differential down with the axles attached and then remove differential cover? Then rebuild pumkin and then re-install.

no

you would remove the axles, remove the diff, put the diff in a spreader to remove internals. this diff is a little different you also have to check the aluminum housing for round outs as if it warped will need to be replaced. also the diff itself needs to be stretched.

Back