2002 Mountaineer won't shift out of park, no brake lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mountaineer won't shift out of park, no brake lights

Magicland

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
04, 02, 00 Mountaineers
Sounds like a brake pedal switch. When I short the wires to the switch, the brake lights come on, which also makes me think it's the switch. However, this morning I replaced the brake pedal switch with a brand new one, and I've still got the same problems. Can't shift out of park (at least without rooting around in the steering column) and the brake lights aren't working. Obviously, since shorting the wires gets them to work, there's no issue with the bulbs, or the wiring TO the brake lights... Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure everything is hooked up properly? It definitely sounds like the brake light switch. Have you tried pumping the brake pedal a few times? I sometimes have to do that to get it to 'grab' and catch that the pedal is depressed

Solenoid which unlocks the shifter when brake pedal depressed is faulty, or fuse feeding it is blown. I'd check that first. imp

Check the wiring inside the plug going to the switch. Usually, one or both of the terminals develop a crack and lose contact. You can get a new plug at the auto parts store. It's a common problem on Ford vehicles with a 2 wire switch.

Thanks to everyone who posted! Turned out Auto Zone sold me a bad switch. Tested it with my meter, and it wasn't closing. Got a replacement, and now I've got brake lights again!

Back