• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mounty trans issues..(help)

Mussin

Reaction score
City, State
Lima,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
Well Ive had no luck with the tranny in my '02 mounty.. The car has 180,000 miles on it and almost 1.5yrs ago the trans went out. I bought a reman unit off of a place that is no longer in business (My luck...) The reman tranny worked great until 2 weeks ago it wouldn't go into 3rd until you let off the gas completely then would slam into 3rd.. I found a guy locally that would rebuild my orig tranny (still had it in my shed) He went through and found a broken 3rd band and torn servo gasket. He said all the clutches looked great so we reused them. He also took the case to get bored and bushed because the servo rod hole had some slop in it. Well he got it all back together and now it has a 2 sec. delay going into reverse and a delay going into 3rd, Almost have to feather the pedal other than that it drives fine??? He tore apart my reman unit today and said the servo rod was broke off and the rod was stuck in the hole.. :mad: Do you think the VB or solenoid could have went bad from sitting in my shed for a yr and a half?? We are going to swap the VB and solenoid pack from the reman to the orig trans to hopefully fix the issues of delayed shift into 3rd and delay going into rev..

Any ideas?

THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need some HELP ASAP here fellas, PLEASE. I have to get this think back on the road ASAP. What does it feel like when the solenoid pack goes bad?? Will it cause the tranny to not shift into 3rd? It seems like 3 bangs HARD after a 6-9 sec pause then the trans works fine? If you shift it manually into 1-2-3 it works fine??

Im thinking shift solenoid??

Jeremy

The 3rd gear issue sounds like a broken accumulator spring. I would swap valve body and inspect what you can while its still in the truck.

You could have a servo piston concern or the bore for intermediate servo piston is worn causing delayed and harsh upshifts. Its going to be hard to fix without swapping in parts or taking out trans and inspecting it.

The guy that fixed it had the servo bores bushed because they were wore out.

Back