2002 New Paint and Wax | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 New Paint and Wax

I have a 2002 Explorer EB (dark green color) and is being repainted due to a bad factory paint on the hood and top. I was wanting to know what would be the best brand of wax and what steps I need to do to make the paint really have that great deep shine. I will get the X back on July 3 and will have all weekend to wax and polish.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm.. Black Magic made a typo.

The product you're looking for is Zaino.

How about Klasse or Blackfire. Plus will I need to use a claybar if the whole thing is being painted???

Yes, defiently use a clay bar after being painted.

Originally posted by jmyoung
.....I will get the X back on July 3 and will have all weekend to wax and polish.

You will have to wait at least 2 months before you wax and polish the vehicle after it's painted. Even though the paint will be hard to the touch, it won't completely be cured for a while. If you wax it too soon, you can damage the paint.

I waited two weeks before applying Zaino to newly painted hood. Per Sal at Zaino. Results were great. You do need to wait for the paint to cure. Old paint took three mo. The new paints, according to Sal, take a week or so.
If you are going to the trouble of keeping your ride looking good you might as well use the best and longest lasting stuff...Zaino.
Note that I have not tried Blackfire so I cant speak to how it looks or lasts.
Do a search at: http://www.autopia.org/ and you will find more info on both BF and Z.

Originally posted by jmyoung
How about Klasse or Blackfire. Plus will I need to use a claybar if the whole thing is being painted???

I use Klasse and it's awesome and simple. A 2-step process and that's it. There's AIO (All-In-One) polish and SG (Sealant Gloss). It's a very good polish. I really like it.

I'll throw in my $.02 and recommend Poorboy's EX. Be sure the check out Autopia.

Mike

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
I use Klasse and it's awesome and simple. A 2-step process and that's it. There's AIO (All-In-One) polish and SG (Sealant Gloss). It's a very good polish. I really like it.

Any doubters and you will have to post the infamous sky in the hood shot !!!

The product you want to try is "Poorboys EX" you can get it at www.poorboysworld.com I used Zaino for years until trying this stuff, its phenominal and easier to use, more forgiving.

You're looking for a process, in order to get that great deep shine you need the paint to be level, smooth, and scratch and swirl free. Ever give any thought to an orbital polisher? Porter Cable makes a great one that is pretty affordable ($115 ish). You'll want to clay the whole truck to remove any overspray, but I wouldnt clay the newly painted panels. Then you'll want to use a swirl remover like 3M, (with the polisher preferably), then some sort of polish like the one Poorboy's sells or P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser, then the Poorboys.

It'll look great.

Check out www.autopia.org for everything you ever wanted to know about auto detailing.

Sthphen, how long does Poorboys last? I'm sold on Zaino because of the longevity. I have a three month period when waxing is about out of the question. You can only get so shinney and then you need a finer eye than mine to tell the difference.
Is it as long lasting as Z?

Griot's Garage has great products.

Originally posted by FORDisKING
Griot's Garage has great products.

expensive too! :D

you get what you pay for.

Bill

The EX is too new and the jury is still out on the durability factor. Unfortunately, us Autopians have a hard time leaving our cars alone :D , so it's been difficult to ascertain. You might want to give Steve at Poorboy's an email.

That said though, the general consensus is that Zaino is still the durability leader. It did a great job of protecting my Explorer from the nasty winters when I lived in MI.

Mike

Back