2002 Oversize Options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Oversize Options?

Whats up fellas? I am new to this board and I am sure this question has already been addressed. But here it goes again: What is the Maximum oversize tire to fit on the stock 16" rim of my 2002 4wd? I am wanting to go with BFG A/t's. Another possibility is what is the largest tire/rim recomendation for minimal rubbing WITHOUT LIFTING.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

265/75/16 should fit fine.

Is there a possible issue with brake failure if you oversize too much? Has anyone tried using 265/75/16
tires on an '02? I'd like to find someway to get a little more lift out of my '02 Explorer. Even if its a few inches.

TxIceMan said:
Is there a possible issue with brake failure if you oversize too much? Has anyone tried using 265/75/16
tires on an '02? I'd like to find someway to get a little more lift out of my '02 Explorer. Even if its a few inches.

Well, I fit some 285 75 R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers mounted on my old 97 chrome tri-spoke rims with no rubbing and no lift. Of course, they are a little more than half worn but look pretty cool. I will get some pics posted after my week at the outer banks where i'll be trying them out.

tires

i have 265/75/16 on my 02 explorer bf goodrich a/t with no problems... it looks nice as well...

check the thread on the second page for pictures...

Here are some pictures of my 2002 XLS with 285 75 R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers mounted. No rubbing at all though the tires are more than half worn in the front. These were taken in the Outer Banks, NC.

Attachments

• OB_1.jpg
    OB_1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 4,963
  • OB_2.jpg
    OB_2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 12,467

BenS, what rims are you running with those 285-75-16 tires?

chrisrbarrow said:
BenS, what rims are you running with those 285-75-16 tires?

Those are stock 16" rims from my 1997 sport. The backspacing on these rims is perfect for the 3rd gens.

Is your 02 4x4? And if so any problems with the auto 4x4?

chrisrbarrow said:
Is your 02 4x4? And if so any problems with the auto 4x4?

Of course its a 4x4, no way in hell I'd own a 4x2. No problems at all with the auto 4x4.

Hey ya thanks for the couple of pics...

Thanks BenS for the view of ya rig with the oversize tires... I was a little leary of goin' and droppin' some major bones on five (yes, five... gotta getta matching spare) new tires. But whatcha got looks sweet to me, if ya don't mind me askin' what did you end up spending on them?

I was told at one tire store that the biggest I could go was 245-75-16 but they are mostly 10 ply tires. The next place said i could go with 255-70-16. Costco would only out on 235-70-16. I have an 02 XLS 4X4. Noone told my 285-75-16 would work and now Im mad because a friend has some for sale with only 600 miles on them.
did you have to ANY trimming or anything to get them to fit?

nufan said:
I was told at one tire store that the biggest I could go was 245-75-16 but they are mostly 10 ply tires. The next place said i could go with 255-70-16. Costco would only out on 235-70-16. I have an 02 XLS 4X4. Noone told my 285-75-16 would work and now Im mad because a friend has some for sale with only 600 miles on them.
did you have to ANY trimming or anything to get them to fit?

No trimming, no suspension modifications at all, but these are half worn 285's. They're also mounted on 1997 explorer 16" tri spoke rims. I doubt brand new 285's would fit without rubbing, especially on the stock rims which really tuck inside the fender. Go with 265 75R16's, or 285 70R16, or 275 70R16 etc... With regard to what your tire store guy said, are you gonna believe someone's recommendation who has never done it or someone who has a picture of it? You sound a little squeemish, better play it safe and get some 215's...

tytanutt94 said:
Thanks BenS for the view of ya rig with the oversize tires... I was a little leary of goin' and droppin' some major bones on five (yes, five... gotta getta matching spare) new tires. But whatcha got looks sweet to me, if ya don't mind me askin' what did you end up spending on them?

Dunlop Mud Rovers are cheap, I paid like 400 bucks for four.

Not squeemish, just this is the first 4X4 i've ever own and this is all new territory for me.

265/70R17 Tires Work Stock on 2003 XLT

An update.

I have a 2003 XLT - Sport (Not Explorer Sport, rather the 4-door Explorer XLT Sport). It came with 17 inch rims which means limited tire choices.

After reading this thread and seeing a 3rd Gen with 265/75R16s, I decided to go up a couple of sizes.

The closest overall diameter I could find to the proven-to-fit 265/75R16s was the 265/70R17. In BFG TA KOs, these tires both measure 31.8 inches overall diameter. This compares to the stock 245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail TAs at 29.8. An increase of two inches.

When the tire shop first mounted the fronts, there was one point of minor contact with the rubber fender liner with the wheel turned hard right. However, it was quickly realized that the rubber fender liner could be pushed back over 1.5 inches without cutting or tearing. On both front sides, the liner was plastic zip tied back to the nearest metal. This gave clearance all around in every wheel position.

I have only had the tires on for one day, but haven't gotten them to scrape even after trying on speed bumps and dips.

Because the original Rugged Trails were about half worn out, I got about 1.25 inches in lift. The truck looks great and should show a great improvement on the muddy and sandy dirt roads common in our area.

The absolute lowest spot on the vehicle now is 7.75 inches off the ground. This is the point at the lowest portion of the rear IDS arm. The point just under the lower rear shock mount is 8 inches. Front minimum at same point is over 9 inches. NOTE, these are the lowest points under the vehicle. The 3rd gens have their inards tucked way up in the center. With these tires this truck compares favorable to a bunch of other SUVs.

Rancho says their new coil-over for late model Explorers in due out in May 2005. That's what's next...

surfindonesia said:
i have 265/75/16 on my 02 explorer bf goodrich a/t with no problems... it looks nice as well...

check the thread on the second page for pictures...

How's your mileage with those tires, and how far off is your speedo?

I have a 265/65/17 Dueler A/T Revo on my 03 Limited..no problems at all.

Tires size on 2 vehicles...

BenS said:
Well, I fit some 285 75 R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers mounted on my old 97 chrome tri-spoke rims with no rubbing and no lift. Of course, they are a little more than half worn but look pretty cool. I will get some pics posted after my week at the outer banks where i'll be trying them out.

Let me ask you a question in regards to your post???
your tires you put on are close to if not 31 inch tires,correct???
this is what I have.
2002 Xlt 4Dr 4WD with stock wheels sad when I bought the car it had a brand called Jetzon on them whatever lol???
on my 1995 I have 31" Bfg's KO's and will be going to at least a 33 fairly soon..
do you or anyone think that i can take the tires and rims off the 95 which are 15" wheels and put them on the 2002 which had 16" wheels on them...
I will then take the rims from the 2002 which are 16" and buy new wheels 33"Bfg's and mount them on my 1995...
will it fit i hope so as it will save me a great deal of confusion...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just install the 31s you have on your second gen currently directly onto your 3rd gen. Just swap tires and take it around the neighborhood to see if it'll rub.

Back