2002 Oversize Options? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Oversize Options?

Whats up fellas? I am new to this board and I am sure this question has already been addressed. But here it goes again: What is the Maximum oversize tire to fit on the stock 16" rim of my 2002 4wd? I am wanting to go with BFG A/t's. Another possibility is what is the largest tire/rim recomendation for minimal rubbing WITHOUT LIFTING.

Thanks

285/65 R18 Tires on 02 EB

Hey guys. Just reviving this thread here so I can show you how crazy I am.

I saw BenS post about his 285/75 R16, which have about a 32.8 overall diameter.

My truck has lowering springs right now but I'm getting the stock springs this weekend. It has 18inch wheels with 285/55 R18 Goodyear Wrangler F1 tires, right now. With summer here, I want to see if I can fit in the 285/65 R18 BFG AT KOs, which have an overall diameter of 32.6.

I dont know what offset my wheels have but they do have 1/4" spacers and they never rub(I've actually looked).

BFG AT KOs also come in 265/65 R18, but I saw those yesterday at Costco and I didn't like the width/heigth ratio. Would much rather prefer the 285s.

Does anyone out there have any idea if these would fit or if there are some good quality 285/60 R18 AT tires, which would be fit fine?

i have a dum ? but what is the clearence diff between the 4x2 and the 4x4 i want to go bigger then what i have and i am just wondering what i can go.

Well, I just had BFG All Terrain KO 285/65 R18 mounted this Monday. As expected, there is a lot of rubbing but none of it is on solid surfaces.

90% of the rubbing is on the front and rear wheel well rubber wall, which shouldn't cause any problem besides some noise which is only audible at low speeds.

The other 10% of the rubbing is on the ceiling of the wheel well, which I think is hard surface. This only happens at high speeds when the road grade suddenly increases or decreases or when hitting a portion of the road that is a lot higher or lower. Also happens as the front wheels are coming off of a speed bump if I'm going too fast. I think this has more to do with my worn down OEM shocks than anything else. I will be getting Rancho shocks in a couple of months when I get more money.

I'm very happy to have gone from 2" drop with 55 series road tires to stock height with 65 series all terrrains. The truck looks a lot better IMHO.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Back