2002 Passat 1.8t

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
My fiance and I have had this car for just over a year now and I have to vent on Volkswagen a bit. Don't ever think your getting a great deal on the Passat. We bought this thing used for $18k with just over 25k miles on it. Over the time we've had the vehicle we've noticed how much of a hassle it is to own this car.

No one will attempt to touch the car for maintenance, all saying it must be done by the dealer (finally found a garage that would do certain things to it)... This goes all the way down to changing the freaking oil (Even Jiffy Lube told me they wouldn't do it)!! And the dealer we have to deal with has no clue what the meaning of customer service means (that makes it even more frustrating). After talking it to multiple garages in the area I found that the VW Passat is more expensive to work on than a Mercedes sedan!!

VW doesn't allow rebuilt or recycled parts. So all parts must come from a dealer. Just found out today while getting new tires put on that the CV boots were completly torn off and had been torn off for so long that no grease was left on the joints (mind you this is under 50k and my fiance drives like my grandmother). Due to this the drive shaft would need to be replaced (not quite sure how that works but I'm not familiar with the FWD setup). Called multiple garages about the problem and dropped it by two, all told me the same thing so I'm gonna take their word for it.

Since they had to get the parts new from the dealer it was gonna cost $3,500.00!! HOLY SH*T! Something about the axle needing to be dropped. I was VERY lucky that the car has 49,896 miles on it. Falling under the 50k warrenty. PHEW!

But that still doesn't make the fact that these cars are so expensive to work on. When I did the research I didn't find this out and now I'm afraid down the road we're going to end up paying for it. So much so that we're considering trading it in on something domestic (maybe the Ford 500 or Lincoln LS) that I'll know how to work on.

Just in case any VW owners read this, I'm not knocking the car, I find it very fun to drive and very responsive. I just wanted anyone who might be thinking about buying to know about the huge hassles we've had with maintenence because these things are made soley to be worked on at a dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trade it in!

I know.

My wife had a New Beetle 1.8t. More problems than I've EVER had on a car in my life, and I've never experienced a car more expensive to service and maintain. Something's wrong when it costs more to maintain a $20,000 Volkswagen than it costs to maintain my $70,000 Lexus. Insane. The dealers are so bad too, they know they have you right where they want you.

I will never, EVER buy another Volkswagen product.

Steven, how long did you keep the Beetle?

Actually looking at a used 2003 or 04 Jaguar X-Type right now. Not But got a call from the VW dealer this morning and the serpentine belt is cracked and needs to be replaced to the tune of $250. Then they tried to say the fuel injectors were dirty and wanted to charge us $100 to clean them. I was like I put fuel injector cleaner in every other fill up. Plus having to put premium in it would mean more conditioners in the first place so how could it be dirty, and how the hell would they know?? Needless to say I'm not paying for that.

Fixing all this crap on the car makes me not want to get rid of it now... I want to get my money's worth.

we had a 2002 beetle in our shop the other day. Guy brought it in on the back of a wrecker saying it wouldnt move. So my dad got in it to make sure it wouldnt move and it pulled itself about 5 feet then BOOOM !! the car jerked up in the air a little bit and we look underneath. whats left of the spider gears and cross pin and half the transmission case were laying under the car now ! We ended up getting a used tranny for it since it was a aftermarket warranty. The junkyard wouldnt accept the core and they said they dont charge for a core becuase all the trannys are junk in them it what they told us. This was a 5 speed by the way.

We had the same car and it was a pile of crap. Have you had any problems with your coil packs yet? I would make sure the recall repairs were performed on the coils. We ended up getting rid of ours and getting a TL. My x with 190k miles on it needed MUCH less work than our Passat with 40 :fire:

rfuree11 said:
We had the same car and it was a pile of crap. Have you had any problems with your coil packs yet? I would make sure the recall repairs were performed on the coils. We ended up getting rid of ours and getting a TL. My x with 190k miles on it needed MUCH less work than our Passat with 40 :fire:

Yeah I made sure that recall was done before we bought it. We've had mostly sensor problems with it before the CV thing. Never seen a car with so many sensors... :rolleyes:

dmasini said:
Steven, how long did you keep the Beetle?

Actually looking at a used 2003 or 04 Jaguar X-Type right now..

We had it for 3 years

As for the X Type, I'm not as familiar with them but I've heard they do have some chronic problems. I know a few people that have them also that have some issues with them.

Stephen said:
We had it for 3 years

As for the X Type, I'm not as familiar with them but I've heard they do have some chronic problems. I know a few people that have them also that have some issues with them.

Yeah, I've actually read they have some power steering issues and big-time coolant issues... Reading the stuff I did has totally scared me away from the X-Type! :eek:

The Passat is running fine again with new tires and CV stuff. So we've decided to press our luck and keep it around for awhile longer. Hopefully this was just an isolated problem... Yeah right :rolleyes:

Back