2002 power steering trouble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 power steering trouble

gwilkrrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
2002 v8 explorer with 125k. out of nowhere the truck starts being hard to steer then "releases" and turns free. I checked fluid and was full. looked under and rack was damp to slightly showing wet.... fluid (likely original) smelled a bit burnt. I pulled the line off going to the cooler and drained the cooler and the resovior and added new fluid........ now I am trying to determine what is getting ready to fail.....
thoughts to try or look for? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air in system? Could also be bad ball joints? If u disconnect tie rods, see if wheels turn easy. Have had bad ball joint make it so steering wheel wouldn't return to center after making a turn. Would have to manually straighten wheel out.

Air in system? Could also be bad ball joints? If u disconnect tie rods, see if wheels turn easy. Have had bad ball joint make it so steering wheel wouldn't return to center after making a turn. Would have to manually straighten wheel out.
I will check those as well thanks!

Sounds like the rack is failing. If it was the pump it would be a consistent drag.

My ranger did the same thing back in the day, we flushed it and it worked for a while. Might try draining again, filling, work wheels a few turns and repeat until fluid stays red.

If that doesn't do it then I'd be looking for a new steering rack.

Is your belt squealing?

Also, the belt can slip after going through a puddle.

Is your belt squealing?

Also, the belt can slip after going through a puddle.

no squeeling I don't think the belt is slipping
pretty sure bad-old fluid and a weak rack

Back