2002 Ranger Problems - Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger Problems - Help Please

hollywoodr

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger XLT 4X4
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4. The 4 wheel drive has not worked in a while. I have been driving
it as is just using 2 wheel drive when all of a sudden when I backed the truck out of the driveway,
there was a loud "popping" noise. When I got out of the driveway, the truck would shift into drive,
but it won't move. I was able to back the truck into the driveway, but it will not move forward.
The rear tires just spin. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front wheels are locked??

I dont know too much about the 3rd generation of these, Im a second gen guy.
But, that being said, climb underneath and find the shift motor on the transfercase. Try taking it off and moving it into 4hi or 4low manually. Not saying that is definately the problem, but its a damn good starting point from the description. Could be between hi/low range. This could also be the front differential is toast, but start at the transfercase and work forward from there.

Should also say that If you do this and it doesnt seem to be the problem, try reposting and mentioning what you have done so far. I am really surprised nobody has said anything about this yet. Usually much better here, might be the "new years hangover" factor.

Good luck

Should also say that If you do this and it doesnt seem to be the problem, try reposting and mentioning what you have done so far. I am really surprised nobody has said anything about this yet. Usually much better here, might be the "new years hangover" factor.

Good luck

Thanks, I'll try that in the morning. I actually didn't expect a reply so soon being New Years Day. Just my luck...we're supposed to get 6 to 12 inches of snow tonight/tomorrow. :)

I had a family emergency, so I was not able to look at the truck until now. Before I take off the shift motor, I jacked up the front and both wheels spin freely. So does the front axle, etc... Should I still take off the shift motor? If it's in between gears or the differential is bad, would the front tires spin?

The front differential could be damaged and you could still rotate each wheel though the workings of the spider gears. Try rotating both wheels in the same direction at the same time. This will drive the ring and pinion gears as well as the drive shaft or you could just try to rotate the drive shaft. If the drive shaft will not rotate, then you will need to disconnect the drive shaft and determine if it is the front differential or the transfer case that is locked up.

Once you get that solved, you know what to take apart for repair. I am guessing transfer case.

I want to thank you all for replying to help me. I kinda feel like an idiot, but I
was way off. Both front wheels move fine. The the passenger rear drum was locked up.
I took of the drum, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, & adjusted it.

This worked out good because I've learned a lot about the 4wd system, so I might
as well try to fix the whole thing. I have no power to the switch in the dash, so I
think it may be the 4wd control module. Does anyone know how to test the control
module (passenger side kick panel)? I do have a multi meter, but I'm not sure how
to test it. I need power before I can test anything else.

Thanks Again :)

Back