2002 Rear Suspension work

NavyTwidget

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Long time reader, first time poster.

In preparation for the upcoming camping season I want to replace some suspension components to improve the ride, replace worn out part and give my wife some peace of mind that the Explorer isn't going to break down while on a trip.

It is a 2002 XLT 4.6 4wd with just over 100,000 miles. 60k of those were spent in Northern Ohio so the undercarriage looks as expected after several winters of road salt.

My initial plan is to replace the rear struts with Monroe Quick Struts. Is there any other components that could/should be replaced while completing that job. Looking at the front end I can see that several bushings are shot so if there is something that I can do with the rear suspension apart then I want to do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and recommendations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What an open ended question, Short answer, inspect everything while you have the wheel off, definitely check the ball joints and the toe link, check the control arm bushing, check the bearing, and the brakes.
Instructions and discussions on replacing all of the items can be found here and elsewhere on the web if needed.

Use lots of penetrating oil to help brake up the years of rust!

Rear wheel bearings often fail as well. They are a known weak link.

You could take it in for an inspection, but I wouldn't replace anything if it isn't bad.

Ditto on the hubs being a weak point, but those are a ton of work to replace, so leave them alone if they're OK.

Ebrakes are another royal pain to deal with. Definitely check the pads and hardware condition (make sure everything is moving freely, etc.).

Mike

Thanks for the responses. The reason for asking the question is that I know that there are some things that are worth replacing just because you have something in the same area already apart or while you have this taken apart it is easy to go a little deeper to replace something else. Such as replacing a timing belt on certain vehicles when replacing the water pump.

Again thank you.

The struts have been replaced with minimal hassle. Due to the amount of corrosion on the undercarriage, the removal of hardware proved to be time consuming. Only two of six bolts on top of the strut needed to be cut off; the others either broke or were removed with lots of elbow grease. It has been said in other posts to use a ratcheting 13mm wrench but I will add that having a flex head made the job that much easier.

During the test drive there was a clicking noise that wasn't present previously but a quick search suggested that it was more than likely the parking brake. While driving at a slow speed I engaged the parking brake with the clicking not returning. The parking brake shoes and hardware are on order.

After this it is now time to focus on the front end.

Back