2002 Sport heater core replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport heater core replacement

cdt785

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport
Hi. Does anyone know how to change the heater core in a 2002 Ford explorer sport? Does the dashboard have to come out to get the core out? Any help would be appreciated. When I put the heater on,my windshield fogs up, and I'm loosing coolant at a slow rate. I purchased this Sport 2 months ago, and I'm trying to fix everything before it gets cold out. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck finding help. I needed help replacing the front evaporator in a 3rd gen X, and nobody spoke up. I ended up looking on autozones website, and they have a complete R&R guide for the heater core/evaporator....big job, and the dash has to be moved quite a bit. I ended up just taking it somewhere, and they said they didn't have to take it completely out, but had to take it out enough to allow removal of the box the core and evap are housed in.

Paul

Paul, It sounds like you spoke up and helped out. ;)

do yourself a favor--take out the front seats, and center console.

Then drop the steering column. From this point the dash can slide back far enough and you have ample room to work without hitting your funny bone.

This repair is time consuming and intimidating. It often is the deal that seals the junk status of these rides. If you give yourself a weekend, a case of beer and a buddy you should be able to pull it off.

Where are you located?

Thanks alot Paul and Jon. Looks like I'm in for some fun! I live on the Jersey Shore in Brick.

Back