2002 Sport OEM fog lights help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport OEM fog lights help...

Updated: I went ahead and bought the FORD wiring manual for my Sport on eBay. I'm impressed by how thorough it seems to be. Anyways, what I have found out so far is that even though my Sport has fog lights with OEM wiring and the connector for the switch in the dash, there is NOTHING in between. I have no fuse or even wires in the battery junction box and no relays or wiring in the relay box under the air intake. Pretty cool huh? I tried following the fog light wiring but I lose it as it gets close to the firewall. I would really like to find the ends of those wires just to make sure nothing is exposed. Anybody have any suggestions on how to chase these down?

===================================================================

Ok, So I'm finally back to a normal work schedule and have some time to poke around my Explorer. Long story short, I have factory fog lights but didn't have a button on the radio bezel. Checked to make sure there was a plug behind the bezel and sure enough it was there, albeit all hacked up... Anyway, ordered a new bezel with the fog light switch... Patched the 4 wires things i've noticed so far:

All the wiring seems to be factory from the fog lights themselves and the switch behind the bezel.

The fog light button on the bezel doesn't light up at night like the rest of the buttons.

that were there, put in the new bezel, turned on the lights, walked to the front and no joy...

I pulled out the owner's manual thinking maybe the fuse was blown since one of the wires was exposed... Located the fuse location and much to my surprise there is no fuse and no connector for a fuse to plug into?????

The bezel I bought was from a AWD Mountaineer and I have a 4WD Explorer.

-Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the bezel really shouldn't make a difference because they are all mostly the same, and as i found out as well, the fog light button does not light up like everything else.

the bezel really shouldn't make a difference because they are all mostly the same, and as i found out as well, the fog light button does not light up like everything else.

I wouldn't think the switch on the bezel would matter but figured I would put all the info out there just in case...

Well hell! That is disappointing... I was looking forward to having one more thing light up... Now I'm gonna have to run neons through the whole truck... :eek:

i just make it easy and keep the foglights on all the time so the little green LED on the top of the button lights up, but as far as the symbol, your shooting blanks.

i just make it easy and keep the foglights on all the time so the little green LED on the top of the button lights up, but as far as the symbol, your shooting blanks.

I'm trying not to spend money right now and would like to know all stock equipment is working right before I start modifying but what I would really like to do is swap in some low intensity HID fogs and wire them so they come on when the truck is started... I'm assuming the stock fog lights are about as effective as the ones on my Mustang were...

i actually do see a difference with them on and off, with them off i get a large dark area in front of the truck and with them on, its all covered and you get higher definition of the lines when you are driving.

Well that would be a nice change... In the Mustang I would've been better off mounting a couple of flash lights up there... :D

i honestly cannot see myself driving at night without the fogs on, its just too much of a difference to me, but then again i have had them on since i got my rig almost 3 years ago now.

Ford doesnt waste $ putting in wiring that will not be used if they can help it.
Your gonna have to run your own wires.

Ford doesnt waste $ putting in wiring that will not be used if they can help it.
Your gonna have to run your own wires.

So maybe my Sport didn't have fogs from the factory? That would make sense...

Back